Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-09-12
16:26:14
 Old site

I was just looking through the old versions of this site (plus4.emucamp), and there is so much good stuff included. Just a real sense of passion for the Plus 4 in the old days, I'm not saying there isnt now, but it was more raw back then. Now were all refined with databases, making things efficient and stylish, which is great. It throws me back to when the net was still virtually a unknown frontier and so exciting.

Just my thoughts

happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-09-12
18:29:23
 Re: Old site

Thanks for your kind remarks. happy

It took a fair fue years with alot of mistakes (html) along the way and all hand crafted on an Amiga! wink

Csabo's handy work with what we have now was the saving grace of it all.
The old site was a nightmare to update and to keep ontop of everything. It took a lot of my free time, infact everyday I was doing something, but in the end a good thing can become too much. I never dream'd the site would take off and go as far as it did and still now!! I was an internet virgin and just wanted to make a homepage on something I loved because no one else was really doing anything. It was a shame to see so many C64 sites and a serious lack of C16/Plus4 ones..
Emulators were starting to dry up and I just wanted to make a face for the C16/Plus4 gaming side to help out.
I dont want to take all the thanks though because I had alot of help with resources and also alot of encouragement from many people so over night it became a portal for all things C16/Plus4 gaming. Between the guys making emulators and everyone else supporting especially with the lastest most wanted games ect.. we all ended up becoming one happy family! For the first time, althought mostly games the C16/Plus4 had a face on the internet just like the C64. It really was an exciting time and man to think of all the things that came out of it back then! happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-09-13
07:27:47

I know what you mean about the old days happy You should have seen the first incarnation of my database for that matter, it was _not_ dynamic. I generated static HTML pages (about 1,500) for each game, developer etc. which I would upload via FTP. It was crazy... But then I learned PHP happy

Since then I've learned a few more lessons. Why does one make a website? For others, really. If you take this train of though further, you realize you have to open up everything to everyone, including content editing. We're all making this site for ourselves.

The passion is still there though.

Posted By

MIK
on 2005-09-13
17:42:14

Thats it, hats off to Csabo for learning PHP. Everything and anything can be related to any topic of C16/Plus4 you wish to dream up. Everything is catologed and things will never be forgottern or missed out again. Its the perfect bible as to why Plus/4 World it was named. happy

As Csabo found out it was almost impossible to make such a data base with html and then to keep track of what your were doing! I had it easy next to this! wink

Take [Winter Events] , a perfect example of how a data base can change a site for the better. You now have a dedicated page to this one game. Who wrote it, who released it, the price, adverts, all the differnt file types and a whole lot more. And one page can lead you to many. Click on Udo and then your see how many games he wrote, who he worked for, (Kingsoft - another page) and this leads you to [Anco] or [Anirog] and then you see a massive list of other games... and before you know it your looking at something else and could well end up on a Mastertronic page ect... wink
Its mad but indeed and awesome achivement for what was once a very quite C16/Plu4 web site scene! happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024