Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-08-19
16:56:03
 X1531 USB to Gameport problem

I asked a couple of weeks back about ways to use the X1531 cable with a laptop without the gameport, and someone suggested the USB comvertor cable. I got one and tried it out, and the tape player powers up when using this, but it's too weak! It's almost like a portable tape player that needs 4 AA batteries operating on just two. It's playing tapes too slowly and eventually it grinds to a halt as if it has run out of energy. Clearly not enough power is getting to the datasette player. Am I busted flush or are there any ways of boosting the power coming from the PC to the C16 tape player?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2005-08-19
17:40:41
 Re: X1531 USB to Gameport problem

USB specs are for 5V at a very small amperage. Your tape drive probably requires more power than the USB port is providing for "long term" power. USB isn't meant to drive a motor but to power a computer chip. Desktop computers tend to have a higher anp output on their USB ports because it can pull off of that monster 350-400W supply in the case, rather than the 12V battery pack that a laptop is designed to work with.

You might investigate using a battery-power pack (the 4 AAs would be perfect if you can wire it) or a power transformer that can output 5V DC at up to 2 amps.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024