Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-03-29
09:53:53
 Plus 4 GEOS

Hi everyone,

Two weekends ago I attended the Commodore Scene meeting, which was going to be mainly about the C64/128. But I took alot of Plus 4 stuff; everyone was really impressed and thought our machine was as capable as the C64 in many respects. One thing that did surprise me is that many of the attendee's have never seen a Plus 4 running.

Whilst there I was looking at GEOS running on the C64 with and without a Super CPU and my jaw dropped. Never in my life was I expecting to see an operating system that detailed running on a C64. Anyhow Shaun Bebbington told me that there is a Plus 4 version on GEOS, so we quickly put it on a floppy and loaded it up. Now I didn't get long to evaluate it properly for my own benefit, but what I did see was amazing. The display was more colourful than the C64 and it had a nice feeling to it. Now back home, I've dug my 1551 drive out for this weekend and I'm ready to have a go myself.

What I want to know is your opinions of GEOS on the PLUS 4? Is there much software our there that will run on the Plus 4? I've been told that certain applications don't work due to copy protection, could this be altered with the authors consent? Or is that just a myth and it should be purchased to avoid this?

Cheers in advance happy

Chris
www.commodore16.com

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-03-29
10:46:16
 Re: Plus 4 GEOS

Hi Chris,
I'm glad to tell you that GEOS for Plus4 is really existing and IMO better than C64 version happy
See its page at James' site:

http://www.cbm264.com/geos/geosplus4.html

I started to convert it from German to English and a beta is already available, with some other modifications, like cursor and colors.
The main problem in GEOS 3.5 is the lack of a printer executable modulus. Furthermore it only run with one (or two) 1551 unit(s).

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-03-29
10:52:29

Hi SVS,

Thats really good news happy Luckily I have bought another 1551 drive off ebay, so will have two for the weekend when I get to test it all out.

Do you know if there is much software out there for it, that will work on the Plus4? Are there any plans to implement a 1541 driver for people that dont have the 1551?

Everytime I start to settle down, something exciting happens to the Plus 4. Just the way I like it.

Just seen the download page and it looks good.

Thanks for the info,

Chris

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-03-29
11:09:00

>>Are there any plans to implement a 1541 driver for people that dont have the 1551?
Indeed this is another long term of my projects happy

Anyway, the great part of C64 GEOS apps does work under 3.5 version. They could cause some "glitches" on screen or colors mess, but still runable.

The Plus4 version was written by M&T in Germany. If I'm not wrong you too lives there: it should be great if you can contact the authors . This could open amazing horizons to future developments...

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-03-29
12:07:22

Sounds brilliant, now I'm really looking forward to it. Once I get used to the system, I'm going to dedicate a section on the website to GEOS.

Unfortunetly I do not live in Germany, but I will definately contact the authors and see what else we can do with the system. That is once I know it well.

Youve been a source of good info.

Cheers

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-04-11
05:36:53
 Re: Plus 4 GEOS @Chris

@Chris:
any news about GEOS studies?
Pls. tell me your e-mail address (or better register you here!), in order to allow me to write names of GEOS 3.5 authors.

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-04-11
13:18:47

Hi,

I've had to study for a few exams over the last week, so had to take my foot off the metal a little. But I have sent a few emails out this weekend to gather further information and help with GEOS. I won't give up on this as I believe GEOS on the Plus 4 is amazing, surely needs the support and acknowledgement of the rest of the commodore world. Also to get the backing of the original authors will be my first task, try and get them back on board.

My email address is support@commodore16.com With regards to registering on here, I didn't think we could register any more?

Chris.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2005-04-12
09:47:50

Chris, sure you can register wink Drop me a line (email at bottom of page) and I'll take care of it.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024