Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2005-01-11
17:40:22
 Scart cable - worth it?

I've seen those Commodore scart cables like the one on commodore16.com. The picture I have with my plus4 at the moment is okay, but it isn't that nice as you can see the character blocks behind some of the colours which isn't an appealing thing. I was wondering whether getting a scart cable would be worthwhile. Does it really make the picture on a plus4 much better?

Also, could I use this cable on other C= machines like the Vic20 and C64?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2005-01-11
19:30:46
 Re: Scart cable - worth it?

Firstly, if the cable has a 7 pin DIN connector, you can't use it on the Vic20 and early C64's, which have 5 pin connectors. However, a cable with a 5 pin connector should work on any Commodore 8-bit machine.

As for the quality, IMO the biggest improvement you'll notice is the sound, which is much clearer.

As for the picture, most CBM scart cables use composite signals, which IMO are not significantly better than using the RF cable. However, it's possible to make an S-Video cable for machines with 7 pin connectors, and the quality is a lot better. happy

It's also possible to make a scart cable which uses S-Video signals, but not all TV's work with these.

Posted By

SVS
on 2005-01-12
02:28:23

When years ago I selfmade my cable video->SCART I've noticed a significant increasing of image on my TV-set. Then (in my case) it worths.
Be warned that color/luminance have to be adjust from TV-set after connecting. I remember it made me crazy, because I saw a clearer image but b/w. After time and many attempts I just adjusted the color control that was set to zero.

Posted By

TLC
on 2005-01-12
08:39:22

As far as I can see, the cable offered at commodore16.com has a 8-pin DIN connector. This should mean two things. First, this gives the best image quality (as long, as your TV supports such inputs on the SCART connector; most of them do). Second, you can use this cable with most C64's, but not the VIC-20 which has a 5-pin DIN video connector.

BTW, my experiences are different from Ulysses's... Even regular composite videocables give much better image- and sound quality than that of the RF connection (but as I guess this mostly depends on the TV's).

Posted By

Chris
on 2005-01-12
15:10:43

Hi,

To answer your query. Our cable has 8-pin connector, and is suitable for C-64C, C-128, C-16, C-116 and +4. It offers the best possible quality - it has separate luminance and chrominance signals, like s-video cable. There is no color blocks around characters (color moire). The cable has special wiring, if TV doesn't accept s-video, it will work as composite. We also have also Scart cables for VIC-20 / C-64-I (breadbox, brown keys)

Regards,

Chris
www.commodore16.com

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024