Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-11-04
04:37:55
 Just about the vote rating

Some words about the toplists and votes:
1) Utilities have too little votes, then their ratings are not releable yet, *** people pls vote! ***

2) Games: I don't agree with who has rated some games with a vote as 1, 2, or even 0. You could not like them, but you have to consider the effort of an user by planning and releasing a SW. IMO we have to keep present the difficulties and the time to create something. If you are coders, you know what I mean; if you're not please try wink. There is an invader-like game that achieves a very very low rating even if it has sprites, redefined chars and perhaps even music; surely it deserves more. Pls don't flame me (anyway I'm not the author of that game) but I don't understand what is the result by "firing" these pieces and their authors.

Pls. tell your opinions, thank you happy

Posted By

JamesC
on 2004-11-04
08:27:24
 Re: Just about the vote rating

SVS,

1) Not all of us that visit the site, can vote. I cannot. I imagine a lot of the newer visitors to this site cannot unless they specifically ask Csabo or Lando for "membership".

2) There are 2000+ games and 1300+ demos listed on this site but just short of 900 utility programs. The chances of someone using the 16 or Plus/4 as a game device is higher than someone using it as its' original intent (programming or business). I believe this to be the general nature of technology -- if it cannot be used for entertainment, then the average person is not interested. I cannot remember the last time I actually had a customer ASK for a refrigerator with a computer in it, but I receive several requests a week for advanced televisions and game systems.

3) Those of us who have been "in the scene" for a long time realize the difference between a labor of love program that took weeks or months to develop, as opposed to a quick program simply to say it was written. We can also see the skills of a programmer by the experienced use of memory allocation, graphics, sound, and features. It is natural for an "advanced" program such as Tom Thumb to obtain a higher rating than an Infocom text adventure in this way.

4) Some ideas have been written and rewritten many times, and maybe the voter is trying to indicate their opinion of the *best* program of that idea. It does not necessarily mean that the program YOU reference is poor, but simply that there is a better alternative.

All of the above is my opinion only, and does not reflect the different ideas and opinions of the moderator of this forum .

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-11-04
09:22:56

What I voted for I did respect what the coder has done in every way. I believe my scores were honest, none I'm sure below 2...

It doesn't matter if someone scores something with 1, someone else may give it a 10 and that would change the statistics of the over all score. The more votes the more that score becomes an average and with most users thinking alike that average becomes only an idea of what something maybe like.

Games are my thing with C16/Plus4 so I can't comment on utility programs because I never used them nor have the need for them. Most games I made PRG's off were easy to do... Once Yape could load TAPE images then Yape became my Plus4 utility because it made it so much easyer and quicker. wink

All computers were sold as games machines in the UK. Support for other subjects were none existence. [frown]

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-11-04
10:34:41

@Lando: with "utility" we mean prgs running in a real Plus4, then the great Yape is not rating here.
I cannote believe that you've never used any utility or pgr different than game.

@James: the toplist is not intended as a compo, but on the contrary a "guide" for beginners or just jonted new people. I'm asking me for what they could think seeing a vote "0" ...

Posted By

MIK
on 2004-11-04
12:04:46

I've used the Crillion Editor and thats about it....

Before I got the internet the Plus4 scene was just me... Thats all I had, all I knew. The only time there was a scene for me as such was at school back in the 80's. I'm a commercial games player of the C16/Plus4. Once the commercial games died I moved on to C64 ect... All gaming machines. The first time I got involed with real computer things was the Amiga. People were doing PD on the amiga, magazines covered many tools and I took up Protracker, (Sample Music Editor). With the Amiga it was easyer to get stuck in using the machine as a computer rather than a games machine because now many great things were available....

So when I got online I went looking for C16/Plus4 games reltaed sites and thats why when I started and for the love of my Plus4 gaming history I only did games... Sorry buddy.

It was a very big surprise to find out that so many of you still worked on the Plus/4. A scene I never knew about was alive and so much had been done in the years the commercial life had dryed up. To be very honest without Csabo's and many others support this site would not be here today as it is now. I entered into something I knew jack all about and that was the net. I spent a good number of years working my ar5e off to death creating the site, again with many thanks to others support, only my boy grow up before I even noticed... But, but I've come to a stand still with it all now. I covered the games side as much as I could and thats was all I could give. Infact it started to make me ill... You can have too much of a good thing.

You really have to thank Csabo for these last years. He's taken the site beyond what I could ever do and with his knowledge added more and more of everyones needs.

and thats why I've never used any tools..... I'm a gamer and as a big kid I still play games even now. I can't be changed. I need to wind the clock back to 1984 and start all over again. Relearn what I have learned as Yodo would say.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024