Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Adam
on 2004-03-09
11:32:40
 Fractal generation speed

Hello!

Just for curiosity - I know that it's not a very consequent question, but you know more of the Plus/4 than I do - what do you think, how long it would take the Plus/4 to draw a Mandelbrot set, if you write it in assembly?

I saw the demos available, but one was in basic, and the other one wasn't actually drawing the set.

Thank you for any replies, and sorry that it's not that good question...

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-03-10
08:06:29
 Re: Fractal generation speed

Mhhh, I don't know, but probably it depends on how many math funtions you insert on the formula.
Anyway if you make it run, while disabling the TED, then you could gain a +30% of speed wink

Posted By

Bionic
on 2004-03-10
16:06:45

The only mandelbrot program on Plus/4 i know of is from a 64'er Sonderheft. It is really really slow due to its bad code. It is written in assembler and takes around 10 minutes for the full set in 160x200. In fact it can be beaten by simple basic programs.

OTOH you should check out Coma Light 9 or 10 by Oxyron (C64). It has some routines taking less than 30 seconds for the same job.

Posted By

SVS
on 2004-03-12
10:17:38

You could attempt to code using the "Graphic Utilities" package I discovered some months ago. The draw on HiRes screen 3 times speeder than standard routines do.

Posted By

Bionic
on 2004-03-13
07:19:27

svs: I am afraid that would not help a lot, since most time is spent in the math part..

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024