Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mr. Museum
on 2003-11-08
 Producers wanted

We, C16DOC and Mr. Museum of Unlimited have finished the SID-Card called TEDSID. Now we looks out for Producers of this little Card. The Producer gets all documentations, Partlist and much more from us. We have not the Time and Money to produce bigger series.

Your Help is needed !!!

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-11
 Re: Producers wanted

Well, it seems you stumpled upon the main reason why there is no SIDcard. The electrical design of the card is the least part of the problem. Especially given, that all information about Solder's (Christian Schaeffners) SID-Card is available on the web for free, including circuit diagrams.

Unfortunately it takes a lot more to produce actual hardware that can be sold, especially given the low volumes. Probably the only way to do this economically is to have the PCB manufactured commercially and do the soldering byself.

Besides, I have not seen much of your SID card, but I have doubts about that concept of mounting anything to the TED-Socket. First of all you lose the RF-shield and therefore probably exceed the amount of emitted RF-Radiation to a level that violates the regulations. Ok, this is not relevant to most people, but technically you would not be allowed to install this kind of hardware in many countries.

A bigger problem is that the TED was actually cooled by RF-Shield. Overheating of the TED will not cause instant death, but all mechanisms that lead to an eventual failure will be increased exponentially (take it by the word!) and thus the lifetime is decreased drastically.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-11-11

I doubt that the heat or RF radiation is that significant, as the C16 doesn't have the RF shield.

Nevertheless, I'm also dubious about connecting anything to the TED, simply because I personally believe that it should be just left alone. happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-11-11

Its a great idea but its the tampering I dont like There isn't enough Plus/4s to go round to even think about bolting on new gear with the hope it won't fry.....

I treated my Amiga with respect and all add-ons hardware wise plugged into or onto offical sockets made for upgrading. She is still alive and well running like a dream happy

Solder's is the better option me thinks although I can't honestly comment as I dont have one

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-12

Ulysses: Indeed, thats interesting to note. But OTOH C= engineers never did anything (that costs money) without any purpose. For example they had lots of problems with the heat dissipation of the VIC in the C64. Maybe they just took into account that the C16 is a lower quality and cheaper machine so it may fail earlier.

Posted By

Mr. Museum
on 2003-11-12

We launching some longtime-tests.. (one plussy runs since 5 days without a break with Giana-Demo wink ) If the card its really finished, we gives the circuits free for all. The Solder-Card needs a GAL, we needs 2-3 TTL (if the next tests sucessful 2) The Card its not for sale to make money, we have make it for all as alternative to the out of production Solder-Card.

Ok thats all for this Time ...

forgive me my really bad english...

Posted By

C16DOC
on 2003-11-12

@BIONIC

This is my 1st version of the internal SIDCARD !
I make in later version's a new shield, cooling system for the TED and SID (Cu).
+buffer the data bus => TED + SID = HAPPY and have a long life happy .
I can create an external version, it's not a problem.

Sorry for my bad english...

Posted By

Bionic
on 2003-11-12

TO (not at!) C16doc:

The first prototype card by solder used 2 TTL chips in place of the gal, although it did not decode both addresses at that time. But today it is questionable whether compatibility to the nonexisting card by csory is really a must happy

The best choice is probably to go with a single CPLD. This would also allow you to add extra functionality like for example a flash card or a bridge to allow the SID to be clocked at the real C64 frequency. (Check out M4A 32/32 or Xilinx, they are cheap and easy to program)

Yes, and an external card is definitly the better choice. I know there is the added difficulty of the DC-DC upconverter, but that can easily be done with cheap parts.. (please dont use TL497)

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024