Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-14
 Space Sweep

So now i know who wrote the first C16 / Plus/4 game i ever played - i actually stood for an hour in the electronics section of Debenhams in Canterbury playing Space Sweep on a Plus/4 with a 1551 and a Commodore monitor attached... happy memories. =-) i just tried playing it again, it's obviously a rushed product (as DW himself said) and the non-smooth scrolling is a little harmful for the eyes these days but it's still fun to play.

This random thought was brought to you by the news item on the homepage and far too much caffeine! =-)

Posted By

russnet
on 2003-09-14
 Re: Space Sweep

Picture this, I'm 7 and I waiting for my parents to buy me my first computer. I go into Comet and I wanted to get a Atari 800XL, the main reasons being that my friend had one and one of the games talked via the cassette whilst playing a game! There was a Commodore 64 but too expensive for my parents at the time. So as I went to get the Atari model, the sales assistant told us it had been sold out of stock.

So off I went with a Commodore Plus/4. Who would think that this little machine would carry the most memories out of all the computers I owned. Maybe it's something to do with growing up as a kid and you like to hold on to those childhood memories.

Anyway, my parents also bought a kettle that day, funny how I can connect things like that! So whilst they were happy with their kettle, I went to unpack the Plus/4 and went to play my first game (Number Builder!) For some reason when I tried to load the Space Sweep and Invaders tape, Space Sweep would load everytime but very rarely the Invaders game would rarely load.

Still always nice to know who the author was. Although he does look really young for his age. He must kicking on his late 30's/early 40's. Still he must have got some money out of Codemasters happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-15

"Who would think that this little machine would carry the most memories out of all the computers I owned."

Those are very true words! I have over 30 computers and games machine now, but its the Plus4 I remember the most. I was 14 years old at the time, 33 this week
My dream machine was the Commodore 64, but like you it was too expensive for my parents but was pleased to have a computer at that (Plus/4).

Alot of the programmers seam to be around the same age. I would guess in their late teens at the time and yeah DW doesn't look much older than me wink

Intresting point of Space Sweep is that you can tell sound was an important part of his coding as it was on C64. There isn't many classic C16/Plus4 games that have music yet here is one! He must of found it hard going not to beable to do the things he could with SID as it can sound a little odd with the music cutting out between each sound effect, well how many games have 2 channel music and try to add sound effects inbetween the music! Love the SFX used for the ship blowing up. Yeah by the time he was working for Codemasters and we get to see G-MAN you can hear the most amazing TED jinggles of the time which he did, C64 inspired because of his work on that of course.

If your into SID music check out David's Vamprie title tune! Vampire is also one game I would love to see a Plus4 port of and surprised it didn't seeing as the Dizzy games use the same type of GFX wink

Posted By

MC
on 2003-09-15

Yep, i was something like 9 years old when i've got my +4, and started to code in basic instantly. I was laming around til' about 1990, (age 13 happy) when i started to code in assembly. Some say that a 13 years old coding in assembly must be a perverted one! happy

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-09-15

Hmm, i started BASIC when i was 11, assembler when i was 13. That said, it's been fairly well established that i'm a pervert so... =-)

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-19

Here is the moment David told me about Space Sweep! I can't believe some one was taking a piccy of that very moment! happy

Dont ask about my hair cut, blame my woman for that lol wink

David Whittaker is a dude! As a character he is so cool, he makes you feel like you've know him for years and enjoys talking about the past and the present! Big Respects happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2003-09-19

That expression on your face is priceless happy On a related note - regarding BITLive4, check out this video which Lando found: www.itps.nl/bitlive2003/ppot_rob_benn.avi You'll just catch the part of the tune at the end. Rob Hubbard(!) has the white cap on and the guy on the flute is Ben Daglish(!). The rest of the band are Press Play On Tape. This was the last tune which they all played together and it had to be totally amazing! Man, I wish I had been there.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-19

It was a speechless event! Just to see Rob Hubbard playing live was something else (he doesn't do live!). Ben Daglish is a man of tallent also, AmAzInG! When they all played together along with Press Play on Tape at the end and played Auf Monty it was WOWOWOWOW!!

Rob played Gold Runner (Atari ST) or Human Race in SID format on piano! Ah man this is one of Rob's best tunes for me and to hear the man play this was "YOU THE MAN ROB!".

Rob had a standing ovation twice!! Honest! happy

It wasn't a free for all this time like before, no real chance of meeting up with the stars. After all it was a concert and that it was!!

I believe the whole event will be released on DVD! I'll let you know if and when.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024