Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-09-12
 Plus 4 and C16 keyboard differences

Having used both computers recently, I noticed that the plus 4's keyboard was a lot less sensitive, lacking in responsiveness, and useless for touch typing. At the time I got the plus 4 I assumed it was just my own plus 4 in particular, but the keyboard on the C16 is different to the plus4, not just in layout, but in the action of the keys. Does anyone else agree with me that the Plus 4's keyboard was a bit unreliable compared to the C16?

Posted By

JamesC
on 2003-09-12
 Re: Plus 4 and C16 keyboard differences

I have not owned a C16, but I do own a C64. The Plus/4's keyboard does require more 'push' than a PC keyboard, and more than a 128 keyboard. However, in my personal use of the Plus/4 and the C64, the C64 is not as quick to respond as a Plus/4. The placement of the fingers on the keys makes a difference -- the C64 requires that I hold my fingers slightly higher, more like using a calculator or adding machine, while the Plus/4 is scuplted more like a PC keyboard.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-09-12
 Re: Plus 4 and C16 keyboard differences

Another thing to consider is that the performance of the Plus/4's keyboard can change dramatically over time. I have two working Plus/4's, one of them needs a bit of pressure on certain keys to work (after I'd cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, before which, I had to really hit some keys hard to get them to work). The other Plus/4 keyboard works like a dream happy

I don't currently have a C16 (although I will soon), but the C64 breadbin keyboard is similar, and I've found that the keys need to travel a bit more, and the springs on the keys are slightly stiffer.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024