Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-08-30
 Lando's time machine

I liked the photo, but what arcade was it taken in? You don't get many working Out Run machines in arcades nowadays, and believe me, I've looked!

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-30
 Re: Lando's time machine

There's not much you can do when the kids are small so I thought some old classic sea side town would be fun for them. A couple of years back I took nipper to Great Yarmouth and that was like steping back to the 80's. They had a couple of Out Run machines there! This got me thinking and I was wanting to find Super Monaco, Virtua Racing..

This year now with 2 chlidren, (girl at 8 months) I thought Margate might be a good place to find the old stuff and nice place for the kids. I think the place was called DreamLand, you get to the arcades just before to get to the rides. Along with Out Run there where alot of Retro machines there. I'll be honest, Out Run was in good working order, but the steering wheel had been changed and sat alot closer to the cabnet so you could just about get you fingers around it wink Up on the beach from are a number of arcades and WOW I found a Twin Super Monaco in 100% perfect working order. Was ace to re-live the moment. £1 for 5 goes happy

All I can say is think small town, that sort of classic 80's sea side town and you may find one near you? Blackpool, Brighton and Portsmouth and the like have been busy over the years and all the classics are all but gone

This site may be of some intrest: www.arcadeflyers.com

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-30

I'm a big Sega fan, but not sure if you know. Sega Ages for the Sega Saturn has a better than arcade perfect version of Out Run. It has as we know it the Over-seas version and the Japan version avilable from the options. Plus the added difficulty levels its the next best thing. Best played on a 60hz Saturn for full speed! Sega Ages also contains After Burner and Space Harrier. All 3 are better than the versions that come with Shenmue 2!

Sega Arcade Gallery for Game Boy Advance was released a couple of weeks back. Contains Out Run, Space Harrier, Super Hang-on and After Bunner. Out Run is wicked. The only poor game of the 4 is After Burner. The other 2 are cool.

Posted By

SVS
on 2003-08-31

Afterburner!!!!!!
I've searched for it many years, and I've found only a very reduced version for one of the machines emulated by MESS.
Do you know any other version? happy
Thanx

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-31

By far the best is the one found on the title named "Sega Ages" for the Sega Saturn system. Arcade Perfect!

Dreamcast - Shenmue 2, you would have to play almost the whole Shemue 2 adventure before you find it Once you find it you can play it as a free play game from the Shenmue 2 collection disc 4.

Dreamcast - Yu Suzuki Gameworks VOL1 (Japan import only). Has the most wicked version of Power Drift out side of the arcades you ever did see! Also has (all these taken from Shenmue 2 code) After Buner, Space Harrier, Out Run and Hang-on.

Sega 32x - Very cool version of After Buner, runs at 30fps. It is cool and has everything the arcade has to offer!! I did find a rom for GENS but it did'nyt work. I own a 32X and After Buner btw wink

Sega MegaDrive - Not bad, but the limitaions of the machine and slow music puts you off. Was great in its day, try GENS (megadrive emu) and hunt it down wink

Master System - No comment wink

Game Boy Advance - "Sega Arcade Gallery", After Buner is set at one speed and there is no speed control or after burner. Its ok for a quick blast, GFX look nice, but this isn't going to bring memorys rushing back......

I do believe After Buner was available for the "PC engine" although I have never seen it. Awesome games machine from the late 80's!

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-31

I do recomend Shenmue 1 and 2 to anyone. Shenmue 2 is also available for XBOX. The game is set in 1986, awesome adventure and it will make you cry once you walk into the arcades! happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-31

I could talk all day about Sega happy

Incase you may not know, Out Run 2 the arcade machine is on its way!!!

Link: http://www.sega-am2.co.jp/outrun2/

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-08-31

Yeah, I heard about that, but it can't possible capture the spirit of the original. The duller colours in the screenshots tell you that right away.
Out Run was for me the beginning of the end for the arcades, bacause it was the final truly jaw-dropping release from that era. It still blows me away. I played Out Run in Blackpool in a crumbling old arcade, and the speed and rhythm of the whole thing (and the music, of course) just felt as good now as it did then. That game summed up all the good (mythical?) things about California in the 80's in the same way that The Beach Boys' music did in the 60's. It's a gaming masterpiece, simple as that.
I think I'll try Margat one day soon... wink

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-08-31

Oops, I mean Margate, of course... happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-01

For me it all started with the stand-up version at a local bowling alley. I was 15 years old at the time. I was blown away by the GFX, SFX, music and the way it played, it was a dream come true. That saturday afternoon, me, my brother and C16/Plus4 best friend from school spent all our paper round money on the machine happy That section with the double bends on the first course was hard work, used to crash into the beach house on the right at the exit of it. If you could pass that ok you'd might make it to course 2 happy

Anyways where we had bikes we used to cycle miles looking for C16/Plus4 games. Out Run had a hunting for arcade machines inbetween happy We found a little arcade down lea-on-solent which had the sit down daddy version which was 30p ago if I remember correct. Before long I was playing the game one handed. It was a buzz with people watching you play it from start to finish. On the out side of the sceen you could see the reflection of people standing behind you happy For years we headed down to lea-on-solent, with Shinobi at 10p ago it became heaven.

My fav route was (start) Coconut Beach, (right) Devil's Canyon, (left) Alps, (right) Wheat Field, (right- finsih D) Autobahn.

Always dreamed about owning Out Run back then and it took 10 years to arrive arcade perfect now on Sega Saturn. I also have a Saturn steering wheel so thats as close as you can get to the real thing knowing they are all but gone! The flame will never die as long as that CD doesn't melt wink

Your right it was the beginning, but history repeated it self once more with the release of Daytona USA for me! Man I stuck £25 pounds in this baby as my first go happy This and Out Run are the greatest arcades ever created and like you its hard to imagine Out Run 2 capturing the magic... We could be wrong, but to do so it will mean you have to play with the car on screen just like the original.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-01

I thought of Margate because of the TV show Only Fools and Horses as they went to this DreamLand in one episode. Margate (now) is in my view a little run down, sure that magic of the 80's is in the air, but only go their if your passing. They also had a big wide sceen Virtua Racing, but the machine was duff as it slowed down once you poped the car into 7th gear

Also 20miles or so towards London is a little sea-side village called Herne Bay, I think that was what its called. We poped by and they had a couple of (old style) arcades places. One of them had Turbo Out Run in-side an Out Run cabnet, but the gear shift was broken

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-09-01

Surely someone, somewhere with a lot of money is going to hit upon the idea of collecting these old classic arcade machines and preserving them. Someone has to do it. I would if I could, maybe I will one day if I hit big money... wink
I heard about the Saturn compilation. You say that it's arcade perfect? The music is the same too? Then maybe I should go out and get a 60Hz Saturn and find that particular CD, and of course the steering wheel. But is the 60Hz Saturn NTSC only?

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-01

More than, 2 versions of Out Run for the price of 1! In Japan the courses other than the start and finishes were in different orders, not only that but a couple of coners are different and thats available from the options for starters. You can also have more cars and less time with the difficulty levels. This baby is going to last ya! The music has been taken off the arcade machine and are now perfect audio tracks on the CD. As an added bonus the end credits can be viewed at 60fps with the game running in the background at twice the speed just to show off what the Saturn can really do. I think its a cheat to get that up..

All the sound, graphics and gameplay are there. The same applys for After Bunner and Space Harrier.

If you haven't played Out Run in a while you may not notice the difference on a 50hz Saturn, but there are small borders top and bottom. With a 60Hz its full speed and full screen.

What I mean about a 60Hz Saturn is that its standard UK version that has been chipped and may have switches on the back (like mine) to allow you to select 50Hz/60Hz and USA/JAP modes so you can play import games aswell.

Check this class Out Run site out and hit the versions page. You will see the Arcade and Saturn versions get the same marks. Link: http://www.geocities.com/out_runbr/

Here's a copy of Sega Ages on ebay so you know what you looking for if you do.
Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3043423265&category=3656

Only available on JAP import I also have for Saturn, arcade perfect Galaxy Force 2 and almost arcade perfect (30fps) Power Drift. happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-01

I may of took my Plus/4 to Retrovison but I also took my Saturn, Out Run is part of that magic from the 80's. This is MayhemUK a c64 scener at the wheel. He commented that he didn't remember it being this hard. I thought everyone would of found it all too easy now so I set it to hard before I got there which isn't the hardest setting! wink

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-01

I'll shut up in a mo honest. As with most Saturn games Sega Ages also saves the High Scores and settings via internal battery backup or memory cartridge. The steering wheel is anolog. Dont forget to ask your wife or girl friend to move the chair you are sitting in when playing so you can live the dream once more. wink

Posted By

AaronGale
on 2003-09-01

Some company here is selling Out Run and Turbo Out Run, but they don't state the price. I'd imagine it's many 1000's of pounds though.

Can't say I was ever into racing games, give me R-Type or Shinobi anyday. Lando, did you ever go into Aladdin's Palace in Shirley or Autoplay near London Road? They always had great machines back then.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-02

No? I missed them! Shirley is best remembered for me as I bought Big Mac from Spearings and G-man from some video shop up the road on Shirley High Street, not forgetten Chip Bits at the bottom end of Shirley High Street!

As I lived the other side of Southampton it was Lea-on-solent or once in a blue moom South-sea down Portsmouth where they used to have it all.

Good to hear your a Shinobi fan! happy

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-09-02

I remember when I first saw Out Run, it was at Jersey Airport. It certainly helped pass the time as our flight was cancelled...

But the racing game that really did it for me was Daytona USA. Blew me away when I first saw it at Sega World in Bournmouth. happy

Later, the local(ish) Sega World in Tamworth started running a special offer on Thursday nights. Pay £5 entry fee at 5:30pm, and all games on free play until they closed at 11pm. 8-player Daytona USA...for free! happy

And a 30 game winning streak on Virtua Fighter 2...but that's another story happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-02

Ulysses777 you the man! Big fan of Daytona USA, may all time fav racer.Way back in 1996 I went to Sega World Trocadero London. They had the full sized 8 machine linkup version with control box. It was winner stays on after an hour of winning every race I gave it all up as the buzz from it all was becoming too much. The staff were begging me to stay on but enough was enough. My clame to fame wink

Any chance you were playing with Kage? Just wondered happy I saw this Japanese guy playing it once and he owned with Kage. I always loved Kage and this guy showed me a thing or 2 just by watching him play. I used to suffer once I got onto Jefferys stage, but thats all in the past now wink

Hey its nice to share a thing all 3 about Sega on a Plus4 forum wink The darker side of me is coming out hehehe.

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-09-02

Kage is the one and only happy

Got VF2, Sega Ages and a number of other games on my Saturn (including the epitome of insanity that is Guardian Heroes). happy

During those free play nights, I also got the chance to play some games which I wouldn't normally touch, then realise they're damn good (once you get used to them), like Virtual On:Cyber Troopers happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-02

Haha! Kage is the dude! happy

Yeah I bet you was lovin it LaRgE! Never really looked into Virtual On.
Did you ever get the chance to play that 360 degree G-Lock they had down there? I bashed me head on it when it went upside down happy

I remember when Sega World down Bournmouth was double the size of what it is now. Used to rule back then. Sega were knocking my socks off with their arcades and home games machines, once Sega World opened up in Bournmouth with its Sonic the Hedgehog carpet it was amazing! Really enjoyed playing the wide screen version of Virtua Racing down there, no one else in the south had it! happy

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-09-03

I see looking on Ebay that you can get adapters that allow you to play Japanese/US Saturn games on a UK machine, but of course, they would still be 50Hz, wouldn't they?
Iknow it's pointless information, since it was long ago, but how and where did you get your Saturn chipped, just out of interest?

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-09-03

AFAIK, the Datel Action Replay for the Saturn doesn't switch from 50Hz to 60Hz.

There was a cartridge that plugged into the expansion port at the back which had country and 50/60hz switches, but I'm not sure if they're sold anymore.

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-04

I bought mine already swicthed from http://www.videogamecentre.co.uk/" down in Bournemouth. I think they used to do them or send them away. That was some years ago now. They are still a large import shop and have loads and loads of stuff but they are not cheap.

My brother drove all the way to a shop in London off Oxford Street and had his one done. Took about aweek, again years ago. He wouldn't send his away in the post just incase and thats why I bought another that was already switched.

I didn't know there was a cart that could do the 50/60Hz?

I've just had a quick search on google and fond this page. Looks like mine was a couple of wires (I've never opened it up). Link: http://www.trsoft.demon.co.uk/satmod.htm

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-09-04

Sega Ages was first released in Japan, but each game were sold as single titles. If its cheap you could try looking for a Jap Saturn and the Jap version of Out Run..

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-09-04

Oops, my mistake, the thing I was thinking of doesn't have a 50/60Hz switch.

Spector, if you want a 50/60Hz switch, it looks like you'll have to use a soldering iron and some bits of wire.

And the method differs depending on which model of the Saturn you have. There's the original version with oval power/reset buttons and a disc access LED, and the later revision with round power/reset buttons.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024