Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

TLC
on 2024-04-11
08:08:42
 Re: Mouse Extension v1.0

@Sukkopera wrote:

I think you're talking about the /CTS bug mentioned by @TLC here: https://plus4world.powweb.com/forum/45374

Yep, looks like that indeed.

The 6551 and it's descendants used to have a couple of nasty bugs, but the ugliest one is clearly this "transmitter is immediately shut down upon CTS going inactive" thing. The guys have worked it around in the Plus/4 design for a reason.

but anyway I don't think mice use flow control signals 

They don't, I mean other than drawing supply current from the port. I used to be playing with this as well (had a somewhat working HID library maybe two years ago), I have tested both Microsoft and Mouse Systems derivatives during the work, and they all worked off from a stock VIC-1011A interface cartridge + a gender changer, and also a late VIC-1011A compatible regular User Port RS-232 interface, just by setting up the port the right way. Maybe one specialty, AFAIR one of the supply voltages is supplied by DTR (can't really recall), and this appears to also have a special function on Microsoft Mouse derivatives: upon toggling it on first, the mouse spits out a PnP identification string, before it'd enter "regular" mode. (The identification mode can be repeatedly activated by toggling the control line off, and on after some time.)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024