Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-03-25
18:54:58
 Re: Mouse Extension v1.0

Well, it was a great idea to support all in one, but there are so many things to check at the same time.
If you remember the good old time, you has to choose in DOS what kind of sound hard you have, and at with port and IRQ#.
Maybe I should not say "good old times" (as autdetect, PnP is much better), but this is how it happened happy

So this machine could have the same approach, at the beginning the program may ask what kind of mouse you own, and load only the specific driver to the memory. It will reduce the workload per IRQ too for the program, and certainly the size too. (the different mouses need different calculation).

(I self advert our common BASIC routine we created to able to load a gfx to the common place... It can be used lto load a gfx, but also a mouse driver too, if you remove the fixed loading address from the routine and the load address becomes the part of the call parameters)
https://plus4world.powweb.com/plus4encyclopedia/500251

On the universal surface side these drivers will be fully compatible with each other (as Sukkopera said), put the same locations and status to the same address in the same format. Great!

@bszggg
-Plus4comp compiler: I could not make it running too.Strnage, because AFAIK it was an official release. Maybe it also required a donge, otherwise it generate false code?
-Austrospeed may generate a 3-5x faster code, but it works mainly on C64 BASIC tokens. The V3.5 commands is just passes, and only the routines become faster using them. I mean CHAR, BOX, CIRCLE, REPEAT UNTIL, anything V3.5 will remain slow (but still work)
-Litwr's compilet is the fastest one. I made some trial with that and I think the speed increase is between 6-10x. Supports a lot of V3.5 commands, and even the Arrays. It does not support GFX commands, but it supports CHAR in character mode.
I suppose his compiler is the best one for this task, though you need to go to Windows PowerShell (or Linus command prompt) to work with that. The PETCAT in VICE does the job. Though one thing I did not understood in Litwr's previous remark about the float numbers (in Commodore 8bits finlly everything is float :-) ) as his compiler supports the 3 byte long pesudo-reals with reduced accuracy. (anyhow, hardly anyone uses that precision any more. or maybe ever)
-If you are looking for extreme fast PRINT command, maybe you can try https://plus4world.powweb.com/software/C16C116Plus4_Micro-BASIC-Compiler

BTW do you like any of the single character Mouse Cursor I just created?

I like this one the most

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024