Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-03-19
16:08:30
 Re: Mouse Extension v1.0

I have two contender (sorry I always forget how to make dual language posts):

1) For a long time I collected and created and converted pictures for the following game concept.
It definitely requires a mouse, multicolor mode.
I may create a very small demo with few locations, no muisc, and any other fancy stuff. I still need to work out the world and object management system.

2) Also would be a great idea to swap the 3+1 software to something small, quick and fancy.
After the recent findings how to utilitize the ROM together with full RAM, a program running from ROM could fully utilize the RAM.

I really liked Litwr's Text Editor made in BASIC, then compiled and it was fast enough and provided enough text to be edited in 80 column wide text.
Notepad+4

On the other hand I prefer buttons instead of memorized keycodes. Certainly next to the simple commands with buttons you can still have all the fancy features of NotePad+4, it would be just an extra layer on top of the editor. (with Plus/4 windowing commands you can limit the cursor to enter and overwrite the "button or "menu" area)

So I think together with a simple character based GUI and mouse support (even more: few more lines as extended screen just for the for the menu?) there could be a simple, but GeoWrite like experience.
It would base on character mode, not hires, so the previously mentioned 80 char mode it closed out.
In the ROM some more charsets could be stored and you could change between them. In the background there will be Litwr's text editor.

Then it would need no drive, and you could save to datasette and drive too (the first was not available on 3+1, one cause it failed initially, in UK and Hungary most ppl did not have floppy drive initially).

This is a PETSCII like mockup. Certainly it could be called as 1+1 only, 1 for the Text editor, 1 for the mouse support :-)
(BTW I just noticed I made a mistake with the 2...3...4 numbering on the top it should have been 1...2...3)

If the mouse cursor is just a full 8x8 character it is all right, please do not forget the original Lotus 1-2-3 or CP/M WordStar and WordPerfect had this kind of cursor.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024