Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

russnet
on 2003-08-13
 BMX Racers - a fix?

I'm not sure if it's me but I can never seem to get off the first level of BMX Racers. I remember playing this game about 15 years ago as a kid and noticing how you can get right to the end of the first level but you are one blocks worth of images away from the finishing line.

So I booted up my Plus/4 emulator, downloaded the game from here and 15 years later, I can still get no further. So either I'm cr@p at the game or it's fixed. However, if it was fixed, why would they release a game that only had one level?

Posted By

Lavina
on 2003-08-13
 Re: BMX Racers - a fix?

don't worry, I also was a big lamer with this game. It angered me a lot! happy

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-08-13

Well, it works fine for me, so your problem could be caused by one of the following:

1: You arn't getting both the flags
2: You arn't getting the energy pods (those small red things when the road splits 3 ways) Remember that you can move up the screen. (I made this mistake when I first got this game) happy

One more note: there's a bug in this game which can sometimes cause you to move through certain trackside objects (and the flags, energy pods and the finish line) when you move up the screen at the same time as you collide with them. If you do this at the finish line, you'll be going forever happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-13

I hope you have the correct version. The D64 I created or any TAP. The road should be black and not green as seen in the PRG versions. When you said "BMX Racers - a fix?" this is what I thought you ment.

Ulysses777 is right, never push up when picking objects up or you will miss them. Watch where the energy pods are, some times you may have to be almost at the top of the screen to pick them up in time - before your energy runs out. The later levels you do have to play almost at the top of the screen in a lot of areas. Timings, practice makes perfect. happy

Posted By

russnet
on 2003-08-14

Thanks for the replies guys.

Taking Ulysses reply first...

Well, after 15 years and feel free to call me stoopid but I never got the energy pods. Whether it was recently or 15 years ago playing it as a kid.

I feel the game is both frustrating and bugged! Give me Kikstart any day. I still find that game a pleasure to play and has stood the test of time and memories all these years later. Oh the joys of red balloons giving me extra time or those ninja spikes killing me!

As for Lando's reply, I meant a fix as in the game is fixed so you can't get anywhere. Even though Ullysses has pointed out about the energy pods, I managed to get onto Level 2. 15 years later, I get onto the second level. Not bad progress eh! Even though, I'm on Level 2, it looks too tough for mehappy

Posted By

Spector
on 2003-08-14

This was a favourite of mine, and I still love it. Some nice colours too, showing the C16/Plus4 as the best 8-bit computer for colour without question.

Posted By

TMR
on 2003-08-15

Just out of interest, does the C16 version have an end? The inlay boasts of one but the final level on the C64 is impossible and then you just hit garbage...!

Posted By

MIK
on 2003-08-15

I've never finished it, but remember seeing a CUP at the end of the last course I think. It was too hard at the end and I kept on running out of energy just before the finish line happy

BMX Racers is a favourite of mine aswell. It is an all time classic more than Kikstart in some ways. It was one of the first real C16 games, (before Plus4 took off) with action all the way. Not only did it have good GFX and SFX for the time, but it also had great game play! The bugs are BMX Racers charm, play it correct and she is one awesome game. It was this kind of effort that was put into Mastertronic titles that makes them one of the best!
Mastertronic entered the C16/Plus4 scene with the same high standards as they did when they left. Big respects!

Posted By

Ulysses777
on 2003-08-15

I've managed to finish it on YAPE using snapshots, and it replays the last level again (even though it says course 6).

I might make a course map happy

Posted By

russnet
on 2003-08-17

Yes please! Tell me there's something past course 2!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024