Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Spektro
on 2024-01-28
13:15:36
 Private messages

Would it be possible to develop the site's private message system so that displaying and answering to the messages would work like forum threads?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-01-28
13:44:12
 Re: Private messages

Yes. Yes it would happy

Posted By

Spektro
on 2024-01-28
16:23:29

That was easy wink

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-01-28
20:43:48

Definitely, an easy question! Sure, it would be possible, if someone were to actually implement something like that happy

Lucky for me, no one has actually asked for this yet. Something like that has been on my radar, but it would probably be a lot of work, and I have precious little time.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-01-29
01:21:21

@Csabo: I think I mentioned you this some time ago: list the PMs with from, to and time, and people unable to live without organizing them into threads can do so.

BTW, wouldn't it be easier to put somewhere a link to access PMs instead of telling all the people unable to do a simple search for answers to their common problem one by one how to do it?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-02-08
14:49:38

The new and (maybe?) improved PM system is now in place. PM me if you see anything broken grin

Posted By

Lavina
on 2024-02-09
04:43:30

If I hit reply button then the history comes up but I cannot message because "I cannot message to a profile". happy

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-02-09
05:11:53

It seems to work well for me, but is there a way to access my conversations without necessarily replying to a message?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-02-09
05:58:15

@SukkoPera: /pm.php
@Csabo: See, you forgot to put somewhere, anywhere a link for people to access Private Messaging. happy

Posted By

Litwr
on 2024-02-09
06:27:44

What's the problem? Just find your address and press Send a PM. If you just want to check your previous posts, just don't press the Send button. grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-02-09
08:27:54

Couple of things: there are some members in the database that are only "profiles". That means we opened a member record for someone without their consent. That person never officially joined Plus/4 World, they never logged in (and can't because they never chose a password). You cannot message these people; there would be no point. (Similarly, if you have conversations with someone who passed away, you can no longer message them - RIP Skoro.) If you encounter this, that means someone must have joined recently and the "IsProfile" flag in their member record was never cleared - let me know who you were trying to message.

As gerliczer pointed out, currently there's no direct link to the Private Messages page. (You have to click someone's name from the bottom of the forum, then click the top link.) I'm open to suggestions as to where to add it.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-02-09
09:05:51

I'm open to suggestions as to where to add it. The individual member pages look to be an obvious place. It has already link to forum posts and if the member was active on the old mailing list to his mails too.

Posted By

MIK
on 2024-02-09
10:59:37

If it's that important take a screen shot, or photo of the screen. wink
Or just trade emails as soon as possible.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2024-02-09
12:50:25

I was messaging there and back with LBM in the last couple of days and it went fine. Now the forementioned behaviour came instead. So now I cannot reply to him.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-02-09
13:35:44

That's been fixed already wink LBM used to have a profile only, he joined P4W very recently and we must have forgotten to clear this flag. Apologies.

Posted By

Lavina
on 2024-02-09
15:14:02

cool. Thanks Csabó, this new feature is quite useful.

Posted By

JamesC
on 2024-02-09
16:08:46

@Csabo: a good place for the Private Messages link might be where the site displays our username and the Logout link. I'm on the default theme, so for me this would be in the header at the top right.

Another possible, and somewhat logical place, would be just before (or just after) the Forum link in the header.

Edit to add: the link should only show to logged-in members. No need to make PMs available to the Googlebot. ;)

Posted By

Spektro
on 2024-02-10
00:39:17

@Csabo
The new PM system looks good and works well happy Thanks Csabo!

Maybe this is a bad idea, but what about merging the user's Private Message page (pm.php) with their own profile page?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-02-10
08:16:22

@JamesC don't worry, that page - like most members only features - is not available at all for Google. (If you don't want to log out, you can test the site in an incognito window, it looks quite different if you're not a member.)

@Spektro right, so merging the entire PM page with the users own profile is not right, but adding a link there is the obvious solution. This way it's consistent:

- If you look at a member's detail page, the link to message them is there at the bottom (this was there before, that's unchanged)
- If you look at your own page, there's a new link now which takes you to the PM page.

This also means that it's reachable from anywhere on the site with only 2 clicks: click your own profile (top/right), then that link.

I added a new link to the "message sent" page as well; "Back" should take you back to wherever you where (before you replied to someone), and the new link will take you to the PM page.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-09
16:52:04

A new feature is now available for PMs: you can send files privately, hopefully helping with collaboration. The files are "reasonably private": no one without the randomly generated URL will see them. However, if you post that URL somewhere, anyone with the URL will be able to see the files - they are on the server after all.

Only certain extension are allowed (zip, asm, prg, stuff like that). Oh, I also increased the overall file size limit (from 4MB to 10MB). If you guys need another (reasonable) extension allowed, or if you run into any issues regarding this feature, let me know.

Posted By

seff
on 2024-03-09
22:32:52

@Csabo This is great! Thanks.

.bin, .rom, .d64

Posted By

Csabo
on 2024-03-10
09:24:23

No problem, those are allowed, along with most other Plus/4 file extensions.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024