Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2024-01-27
09:42:43
 Plus4EMU - how to compile under Linux: Checking for package FLTK... no

Hi Whiz Kids,

Is there anybody to manage to compile "plus4emu" from source under linux?

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --version

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --api-version

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --libs
/usr/local/lib/libfltk.a

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --prefix
/usr/local

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --includedir
/usr/local/include

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --cc
gcc

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --cxx
g++

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --optim
-Os -Wall -Wunused -Wno-format-y2k -fvisibility=hidden -fPIC -fno-exceptions -fno-strict-aliasing -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --cflags
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --cxxflags
-I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include/freetype2 -I/usr/include/libpng16 -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -D_THREAD_SAFE -D_REENTRANT

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --ldflags
-L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-rpath,/usr/local/lib -lfltk -lXrender -lXcursor -lXfixes -lXext -lXft -lfontconfig -lXinerama -lpthread -lm -lX11

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ fltk-config --ldstaticflags
/usr/local/lib/libfltk.a -lXrender -lXcursor -lXfixes -lXext -lXft -lfontconfig -lXinerama -lpthread -lm -lX11

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$ scons -j 4
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Checking for package FLTK... no
*** error configuring FLTK

Charlemagne:~/plus4emu$

YES, I set FLTK configure options before making it...:

Charlemagne:~/fltk-1.3.9# ./configure --enable-threads --enable-shared
Charlemagne:~/fltk-1.3.9# make
Charlemagne:~/fltk-1.3.9# make install

YES, I tried FLTK 1.3.4, too as IstvanV mentioned in the description on GitHub...

???

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-27
12:59:19
 Re: Plus4EMU - how to compile under Linux: Checking for package FLTK... no

I think there's a problem in the SConstruct file but I don't know SCons at all. Anyway I managed to get it to build by replacing the:

raise Exception()

at line 90 with

pass

It's probably a dirty hack and might break dependency lookup, but I could find no mention of ParseConfig() actually returning a value.

I'm using fltk 1.3.9 and SCons 4.6.0.

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2024-01-27
15:21:13

There is this post. It solved not exactly the same problem but maybe it can give some ideas.

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-01-27
18:01:07

The author uses a rather strange build system for the project. happy So far I have only managed to build one way. So I probably used the same distribution as IstvanV. There I was able to install all the dependencies from distro's repositories. After that, the build worked easily. This was a version of openSUSE. In other distributions there was always something that was not good / missing.

But - as gerliczer writes - bubis has also successfully built to exotic targets. We hope will see this thread and give us some tips.

Posted By

TLC
on 2024-01-28
13:59:07

Just made an attempt to compile the emulator on Ubuntu 22.04 (x64). It apparently worked just on the first try.

mkdir tmp
cd tmp
git clone https://github.com/istvan-v/plus4emu.git
cd plus4emu/
sudo apt-get install scons fltk1.3 libfltk1.3-dev portaudio19-dev libsdl1.2-compat libsdl1.2-compat-dev libsndfile1 libsndfile1-dev lua5.3 liblua5.3-dev
scons -j 4
mkdir -p ~/.plus4emu/roms
cp roms/* ~/.plus4emu/roms/
./plus4emu

...and off it went.

For me
fltk-config --version
says 1.3.8 ,
fltk-config --api-version
is 1.3, SCons is v4.0.1.something.

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-28
14:37:01

I think the problem is the version of SCons, I'm using a much newer one and there have probably been some changes inbetween.

Posted By

TLC
on 2024-01-28
16:36:30

Yep, looks like. I came over to use my Gentoo box, and the problem did happen at SCons 4.5.2 (the oldest version I could install here from stock Portage repo).

I tried your hack to suppress the exception in SConstruct, and it similarly worked.

As a test, I dug up and installed scons 4.4.1-r1 from the Portage tree archive, and the problem already happened here as well. There had to be something introduced between 4.0 and 4.4 which breaks this construct, but for me wasn't obvious from scons' Changelog.

Posted By

Charlemagne
on 2024-01-28
17:20:28

Thanx U all for this detailed investigation...

Plus4EMU compile under linux

Well, as you can see I used the same hack that SukkoPera suggested me, my solution was in the 116 line of "SConstruct": remark (#).

BSZ: "The author uses a rather strange build system for the project. happy"

"SCons is an Open Source software construction tool. Think of SCons as an improved, cross-platform substitute for the classic Make utility with integrated functionality similar to autoconf/automake and compiler caches such as ccache. In short, SCons is an easier, more reliable and faster way to build software." (https://scons.org/)

...easier, more reliable and faster... happy

TLC: No way(!)... happy My favorite linux distribution is Debian (which is also the root (parent) of Ubuntu)

gerliczer: I read the ROM list of ZX Spectrum and the following citation came to my face:
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler." (Albert Einstein)
happy

Posted By

TLC
on 2024-01-28
17:29:03

re.: "No way(!)...", that is actually my work setup, see also: some local optimum has to look a bit different once you have to take a strongly MS leaning corporate ecosystem into account (...and you're actually happy that you're not explicitly bound to use MS Win in your daily work in the first place happy ). BTW, once you got rid of some of the idiotic defaults, snapd, and the default UI (gotta love Xfce...), the LTS dist actually behaves quite nicely grin, at least I had expected much worse. I still don't use it on my own private boxes, though.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024