Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2023-12-30
14:56:47
 Plus4 SID Card: Get?

I see online a lot about a SID card for the Plus4. I'm wondering: is it worth getting? Should I get one? How much would it cost? I live in the U.S.

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-12-30
18:04:28
 Re: Plus4 SID Card: Get?

The SID music is something legendary, and I think it was one of my best decesions to buy it from BSZ several years ago.

The Joystick port with it's analogue inputs just recently added for real use, see mouse controlled Arkanoid +4,a great game.

There are chances, that BSZ will produce a next batch, or someone will sell his own SID card (frankly speaking, I thought that the SID music will be THE music on Plus/4, but seems that the scene moves into a different direction, and I just plan to buy my Sound Expander card and MIDI our device grin)

If you have no patience, you can order your SID card from PCBWay the ReSeed from @SukkoPera, but it is better if you cooperate with someone local, as if you order only one piece, the cost of assembly will be too high, but if you oder 5, it becomes acceptable.

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/ReSeed_v2_SIDcard_for_the_Commodore_16_Plus_4_32f442ec.html

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2023-12-30
18:32:34

MMS, thank you. I'm not in a rush but want a good price. Where can I get one online? And for how much? I live in the U.S.

Posted By

BSZ
on 2023-12-31
07:21:36

I sent a parcel in the past to the USA, but it was quite expensive. (Since then, unfortunately, it has become even more expensive.) And I even needed a SID-chip! confused

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2023-12-31
08:04:46

Okay. Let me try Google and eBay.

I found some info on the SID chip for the Plus4. It said it was rare, but there is a home brew version. The site mentioned nothing about buying it, though. EBay gave me nothing. sad

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-12-31
15:54:42

The original MOS SID chips getting more expensive, as everything else in the retro scene. (OK, this one is even more, because a kind of "legendary" component, and there are modern equipments using them, like this.
Potentially for that some C64s (homefuly bad ones) cannibalized.
https://hackaday.com/2021/09/10/retro-stereo-sid-synth-looks-and-sounds-sensational/
https://www.hypersynth.com/hypersid.html

There are newly developed ICs try to recrease the SID sound. They have better or worse results.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBl7VqTvaWQ
My SID Card was tested with such an IC and it works.
There are several types you can choose from, even SwinSID has several versions (nano, ultimate, etc).
According to the benchmarks, the ARMSID looks to be the best choice,

It is worth to listen to some benchmarks on Youtube. Some ppl are very sensitive to the small changes, other people do not hear them at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBl7VqTvaWQ

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2023-12-31
18:44:37

I just looked at the ArmSID, and it looks reasonable. I think it would be good for my C64, but can I apply it to my Plus4? If so, how easy is it to install, and will the TED still work? Also, how much would it cost to get in the U.S.? I might buy one for each of my Commodores. happy

Posted By

SukkoPera
on 2024-01-01
07:34:24

You cannot "apply" a SID to a +4 straight away, you need a so-called "SID card" to do it. You have two alternatives for that as MMS pointed out: you can get a card from BSZ or build yourself my own ReSeed.

And yes, of course the TED will still work.

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2024-01-01
07:39:28

Thank you. I'm not all that savvy with the hardware of the computer, just the software, so I wouldn't be able to create a card myself. Can you give me an URL to BSZ, please?

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-01-01
08:02:12

BSZ already replied to you in this thread, so after clicking on his name you may send him a PM.

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2024-01-01
08:06:59

Oh. Sorry! sad

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2024-01-01
08:26:46

Umm...I have a problem: my Commodores are at my mother's house and not hooked up. sad I've been wanting to set them up, but my mother hasn't been available to help me hook them up. sad

Posted By

BSZ
on 2024-01-01
14:52:48

Yes, I'm watching the thread. happy

Unfortunately, I don't have any cards in stock at the moment, the series is out. At some point in the future, there may be two more, but their assembly has not been completed due to lack of parts. But I can't promise anything about that.

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2024-01-01
14:55:19

BSZ, I thank you for your support. I really don't need the chip: it would just be fun to have SID sound on a Plus4. Take your time, as I'm not currently ready for the part. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024