Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-09-07
15:37:33
 Re: Introducing the DigiMoooZ!

First of all: thank you for all the fantastic devices we just dreamed of few years ago, here to mention the C16 User Port and the MIDI control unit.
This is Christmas! :-D

Back to the question: do we want an Adlib like(!) card, or a Soundblaster2.0 like card, that has Adlib AND a single digital channel.
(update: I know Adlib used a 11 channel, much more complex FM synthesis Yamaha chip, it was almost the same as Commodore Sound Expander card with YM3526 OPL)

I think the market gave the answer, Soundblaser was THE definite sound card, despite it did not sound better than an Adlib and a external Covox togehter.
But it was provided two functions in one card. Like this idea!

I think a single AY would be enough. There are very few musics usitiling the second AY.
YM is not completeley the same as AY. It can work in the same way, but can use double resolution. Would be nice to know if the board is pin compatible with both?

I give my vote to the Digital output instead of the second AY.

BUT I vote for the SoundMax method. That one IC does the external mixing of the 4 digital channels "automatically", so the CPU should NOT do it.
So not only the Soundmax has 4 addressable sound channels (much easier to program, clearer sound), but the CPU would have MUCH less task to play a 4 channel mod, that if the CPU does the mixing the 4 channels (you know Pigmy's 3 channel digi player, the CPU could hardly do anything else).
Why DAC? Resistor ladders tend to be a little off, and ppl hearing generally pretty good to notice it.

And my last message: This 4 channel SoundMax/DigiMax is 4 times better than a Covox or SIDBlaster. happy Pretty close to an Amiga sound, if you do not count the filters grin.
Maybe even better as may have no noise from the circuitry, as the Amiga.

Well, all together (even with DAC) it would cost less, than a single SID chip alone... With more functions. Just my 2c
(and yeah, I will surely buy one or two happy )

About the programming of AY: I have no clue happy
I know the 11 channels Adlib/YM was pretty complex to program, but the AY looks much simplier.

I suppose the card uses the TED mixing possibility of the Expansion port? happy
Just to have a main leading sound from TED LOL grin

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024