Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2023-08-14
13:27:05
 Re: Stunt Car Racer

I admit that I'm not all that familiar with Stunt Car Racer, but I kind of like the idea of supporting RAM expansion. As for which features you want, I think they are all optional. I wanted to ask you if you're using the first 2k of memory for your game. If not, putting some code there could buy you a little extra memory. That's what I did with my text adventure. Also, you could compress your map data and have it be decompressed in place on every level. I use printtok.c to compress my text adventure's text. It doesn't do much: it compresses using only tokenization and RLE of spaces, but it helped the text adventure's database file by about 25%. You probably don't need too much, but maybe you can use BPE to compress repeated two-byte values or reference the same location--or even a different location--in a previous map if the same as the current. Does this help?

BTW, I'm going to look on Lemon64 for the C64 version of the game now. happy

I got a link to CSDb, but two downloads--one of the game and the other some documentation--were blocked as dangerous. sad I might be able to do it at home--I'm at my day program right now.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024