Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-06-23
08:42:10
 Re: Additional search feature

Thank you for that detailed answer James, I completely forgot that I talked about the TA/PD thing before.

Just a few minor things to add:

NPI, you're not spamming the forum happy There isn't that much activity around here nowadays, but even if there was, talking about the site in general, or editing is not only "allowed", I think it's necessary (so that things are clear, and the site can improve).

Those old BASIC games, oh boy, we spent so much time trying to sort them out. Since they are so easy to copy and modify, there are tons of versions. Specifically for Courbois, a lot of times we can't tell if they A) took a type-in game and just translated it to Dutch or B) took a C64 program a "ported" it to Plus/4 (and then of course that C64 original can also be a copy of a copy).

Let me just give you one example: take a look at the notes about the versions for Paratrooper (Compute!). That note kept changing as we found more and more versions of this game (we couldn't be sure which was a derivative of the other). The checksum in the original finally gave away that the type-in was the original (as there are vestiges of this in all other versions). That comment (as of this writing) still says that the Dutch version is from an unknown source, apparently, that was before we received all those Courbois cassettes.

My point: collecting all this information is a never-ending job, there's some things that we can probably never get right, and we can rarely say "everything is now 100% correct" (for some individual games, maybe, but not about the entire collection happy)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024