Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-06-12
08:22:22
 A correction

Mea culpa! (I think)

Laky (the kind fellow who recently sent us some maps) notified me today that we have a typo on the site. We have (had) a listing for "Small ELF Soft", but it's in fact Small Eft Soft. When I read his email, I was skeptical; could we have had such a massive typo? A quick search on archive.org confirmed that this entry has been in our database since 2005.

Verifying this was easy enough, I opened both games done by him, and there it was, it's "Eft", not "Elf". The name appears in the BASIC listing of both games in plain text (just in case the PETSCII art would prove hard to read for some).

I tried to think back to how this could have happened. As I get older (as we all do) it's more and more evident that I too appear to remember the old stuff more than the recent stuff. I know TMTS looked for this guy, and that's exactly so; in SCN News 02 they write: "TMTS keresi a Vár Kincse és a Szökés a Várból c. prg. íróját! Hallod?" (meaning TMTS is looking for the author of The Treasure of the Castle and Escape from the Castle. Are you listening?) Notice how the handle is not mentioned, I think if it was, I would have noticed the typo here sooner. I also remembered that one of the games was mentioned in Commodore Világ (a very popular monthly C= magazine in Hungary back in the day). That's also true, here is the page scan which mentions one of the games, again, the handle isn't mentioned.

So... where does this leave us? I fixed it immediately, of course (leaving a mention of the typo there just in case). I just feel bad that we failed our goal here; one of the points of this site is to provide information and accurate info at that. I don't think too many people care (because perhaps otherwise this would have been noticed sooner), but still. I guess it's innocent enough: Eft has no meaning that I know of, and Elf would make more sense.

I looked through the BASIC listing for both games in a bit more detail to see if I could learn anything new. The congrats text in A Vár Kincse says that you have finished the umpteenth adventure by him, and Szökés A Várból tells the player to look for more games by him. From this, one can discern that he probably wrote other adventures (that were lost) and that perhaps "Szokes" comes before the other one. We were never able to make contact with this programmer. Perhaps his name is too common. If anyone knows him (his name appears in one of the games)... It would be nice to get in contact happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-06-12
17:22:17
 Re: A correction

Eft could be initials, could be the Eiffel Tower. grin

Typos happen, and even some font's can trick the eyes in to seeing something else which is more than likely what happened.

Don't blame it on the sunshine
Don't blame it on the moonlight
Don't blame it on the good times
Blame it on the boogie

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024