Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Waz
on 2023-04-30
16:10:11
 Trailblazer C64 SID Cover

Good evening all,

I decided to do an entry for the C64 Cover Music competition at BCC Party 17, held in Berlin this weekend and attended in person by some of my Padua colleagues too.

I therefore did a version of the title theme from the original version of Trailblazer (that's of course the C16 and Plus/4 one) and composed by the legendary Shaun Southern. It worked out pretty nice, and hope you guys like it. Info and downloads below:

https://csdb.dk/release/?id=231948

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-04-30
18:04:20
 Re: Trailblazer C64 SID Cover

That was an interesting cover, not bad! happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-05-01
09:17:47

Nice, sounds like Trailblazer has gone Turbo Edition! grin

There is a good chance the inspiration for the original tune came from the BBC's Question of Sport theme (1980's version). After the first couple of bars you can almost imagine the Trailblazer tune rolling in.

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-05-05
10:44:49

@Waz Nice cover. Interestingly the first time I almost feel it is a different song, then the second try gave me all the details I like in our C16 version. Maybe first time I was too just too tired happy
The main difference I feel that the C16 version has crystal clear high FRQ samples, jumping on your nerves, while your version utilize a little darker, more rockish, noisier samples.
I know it takes much more work to reach this darker sound (than to use a simple square sample), so I suppose it was done by intention.

@MIK thanks for the hint, but I found no coorelation, sorry happy Three times tried, but found no similarities. But sure I am not a musician.

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-05-06
01:35:22

@MMS The Trailblazer tune is not in that TV show tune. It's the style, rhythm of the tune and the jingle note length that are slightly comparable.

The most obvious choice back then, BBC Match of the Day theme which was a football coverage show... It has a brass trumpet tune which is more about being at the club to watch the game in style and doesn't suit a football in space game. A Question of Sport would of been my next choice for inspiration. happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-05-06
13:16:22

Speaking of Shaun Southern remixes...

Posted By

MIK
on 2023-05-07
01:45:19

Cool, love the improvisation section at the end! happy