Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-03-19
16:47:33
 Re: 1581 on plus 4

After a decade, there are some news on the matter.

-A (working) 1581 drive became crazy expensive. A used one costs 300-400€, while a pristine with box could go up to 450€
-JiffyDOS ROM became available for PAL 264 series too, so if you have an 1581 drive with Jiffy, you can have turbo loading speed, although we have no burst mode.
200 blocks in 8 seconds
(BTW burstmode kernal-hack via CIA1 or CIA2 is available for C64)

-Joe Palumbo link was dead, there was no answer to my repeated emails, but as I read on Lemnon64, the stock already vanished at that time.

BUT there are some really great news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFBk9Lae0c

1) 8 Bit Resurgance (@Frenetic ?) posted one year ago that he uploaded the modded/finetuned 1581 PCB to PCBWay Project, so you can order your one in any color with any surface finish.

I already saw some ads on the ebay, asking 160-180€ for your replica PCB with components (even sometimes you need to solder them too).

WHY so expensive?
I made my calculation on PCB Way, and 10 panels FULLY populated and assembled with the required components (!), together WITH shipping costs only 85USD. That's a bargain! I added here the Prinsceen, mabe you will find a mistake...

You can easily bring up the price with better surface finish, thicker or stronger panel, silk printing and such, but the FR-4, 1.6mm thick, HASL surface finish is more than enough here. We do not have small pitch, BGA or other sensitive compontents, and uneven surface means NO threat to you, as PCBWay will do the assembly.
Certainly you may choose ENIG for a great soldering experience (or Immersion Tin for the worse happy ) for a higher price, or choose aluminium or copper base, but not necessary here. In the last 1.5 years I worked in automotive PCB manufaturing, so believe me, it will be enough for this task.

2) Even better news: 8 Bit Resurgance designed a small panel that makes ALL PC 3.5" drives compatible with 1581! I think it is the second best news.
You may order not only the Amiga, 1581 compatible floppy drive, but a good quality black or dark grey one too

3) You can also power your new drive (thanks to 8 Bit Resurgance again) with a simple DC adapter, anything from 6.5V to 19V, as a voltage regulator added and an alternative option. Nice!
1541/II owners are lucky, as their external power brick is compatible with 1581. (if they are not aware)

(Though I think if the internals use only 5V DC, and the power consumption is not that high, why not use the stable USB chargers via a robust USB Mini connector?
It is frequently seen on portable HDDs or seen on the SD1541/II with micro USB connector. Maybe next time...

4) Housing: you may buy directly the 3D printed 1581 modified housing here:
https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=65&product_id=393

I could order a full black version with shipping for $136.
(You can get your in orange/green/pink color too happy )

At least the designer is supported when you order it from here.

BLACK 1581s FOR THE 264 COMMUNITY! WE DESERVE IT! :-D

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024