Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Csabo
on 2023-03-05
15:52:51
 A tape turbo in 2023? Why not,...

A tape turbo in 2023? Why not, it's the authentic retro feeling! Check out Speedy V3 by mc68k.

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-03-08
15:54:32
 Re: A tape turbo in 2023? Why not,...

@mc68k Well, yeah! Thank you!

Unfortunately right now I do not have a non-defective datasette, otherwise I would try it at once!
But I promise I will buy one in the future.

I was a big HER turbo fan, but this one (based on the specs) is way faster. I just checked some of my old tape, and I could count ~320 KB content for a 30 minutes long side (now I downloaded the same programs from Plus4world, and summed the KB of the files) but some free space is there, so maybe 350KB/30 minutes

A little calculation shows a real achivement. 60 games on a 30 minutes long tape side means (calculating with ~14KB average size in C16 games) that 840 KB stored, and from that the speed is also great.

If a 14KB game loaded in 30 seconds (30 minutes / 60 games) the loading speed is a whopping 477 baud, and this is equal (or more) than the native 1541 speed without turbo.
Sure, loading from a catalogue (1541) is more convinient, but I am really impressed by this achievement.
So as soon as I have a possibility, I will tyr it out.

BTW the ill fated ZX Spectrum Microdrive used catalogue on the endless tape, and it could load with 15KB/sec (120 Kbit/sec (= 120 KBaud)!!!), and it was faster than an 1541 with a Turbo. But had only 85KB capacity
Although the speed of that thing was astonishing, due to the high speed and quick start/stop the media became unreliable after some time. So sad.

My last trial with my tapes happened 14 years ago, and at that time the 70% of the 19 years old program records from the BASF Ferro Extra I cassette was still readible (also most of my 5.25" discs).
I am curious if they are still readible after 33 years happy

Also interesting question, if I load a program with HER Turbo from tape, will it overwrite the new turbo in the memory? I suppose yes, so a floppy disc should be the source material.

Posted By

mc68k
on 2023-03-13
02:24:31
 Re: A tape turbo in 2023? Why not,...

Just tested it: the HER loader code overwrites the Speedy code in low RAM area. happy Either load the program from disk or from normal tape (without turbo... - slow like a hell happy ).

Speedy tape copy works perfectly, of course.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024