Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2023-02-01
20:12:30
 Re: chatGPT+4

@Litwr,
The 3+1 could have been a great package at it's original double size. The exchangeable cartridges originally planned, were also a great idea.
Unfortunately there are such huge limitattions in the 3+1 package, I cannot really understand and finally made the opinions about the Plus/4 really bad...
These were:
-Maximum 100 lines long documents: this is such a limitation you cannot explain. I agree for short notes it could be all right. But with 100 lines it is not a word processor any more. Because it called itself Word Processor.
The program ran from ROM, so there should be a LOT of available RAM
-Maybe your memory tricks you here, or there was a hacked 3+1 version. The original 3+1 could not save to tape, just to disc drive. In Europe it was a fatal failure, as only "rich boys" could afford a floppy drive, at least at the beginning. So, for MOST of us the 3+1 was useless without "save document" feature.
https://www.retro-commodore.eu/c16-plus4-software/

Commodore should have put the 16KB sized Script Plus into ROM, and maybe the Calc/Plus. There were feature rich programs, noone would complaint.
Both of them are rather good programs. They could save on tape too.

Commodore's Microillustrator was a good program too (there was a ROM cartridge version too), but could not save on tape.
I worked a lot in that, and it is falsely stated that it is a Hires drawing program. No, it is multicolor mode paint program.
BTW it is equivalent to C64's Koala Painter, just without the Koala Pad (as it would require analogue inputs we do not have)

I made these pictures in Microillustrator ~30 years ago (the 3rd color was NOK in Skoro's demo, so I modified artificially back on PC, as the originals lost):
As a young guy I was really happy with the results, though now I see they could have be done better, but I stopped it as my eyes hurt :-)

Back to the topic:
-3D globes shows the wide palette we could use. :-) second tought: it could have been done with a C64 palette too :-D
-At the same time show the weakness of the multicolor mode too: one less free color per attribute tahn on C64 (red spots on the globes)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024