Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2022-10-25
09:00:17
 cc65 users: printtok.c

Hi! If you program with cc65 and want or need to compress text, you can use my printtok.c module. It prints text compressed with tokens and expands the tokens. It only helped my text adventure by about 13% but may be worth it. Instructions are included in the module. You can find it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/cc65extra/files/ui/. Try it out and tell me what you think!

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2022-11-26
14:19:53
 Re: cc65 users: printtok.c

I am working on an improved version of printtok.c. It is to compress text using both a modified version of Infocom's ZSCII technique and tokenization. If you know of any other ways I can compress text, please reply.

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2022-11-27
10:53:00

Hi!  I just uploaded another version of my printtok/cc65 C module.  It adds more tokens and support for multiple spaces compressed with RLE.  It works for the CBM, Apple2 and Atari 8-bit series.  You can find it at https://sourceforge.net/projects/cc65extra/files/ui/.  Try it out!

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2022-11-29
15:02:29

It doesn't compress lits, but it helped a text adventure's text by a little more than 24%. Try it out!

Posted By

Harry Potter
on 2022-12-09
10:31:48

I have plans to modify printtok: I want to compress string parts that contain only lower-case letters, spaces, periods and returns to five bits per character. An extended token (one that takes two characters--values 0x80-0x9F are quick tokens) only needs six bits to specify the token to use. When compressing multiple spaces using RLE, the size only needs four bits. When compressing string parts that contain only letters and certain punctuation, each literal only needs four bits. Until then, how else can I compress strings?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024