Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-10-08
18:14:36
 Cover for BSZ's SID card

Hi Folks,

I have made a case for BSZ's excellent SID card, relatively simple design, but already spent some long hours on experimenting with different modifications. You can make your own copy if you have a 3D printer, I recommend 0.2 or 0.1 mm layer height (for more detailed "slope" on the side), nozzle should be 0.3 or 0.4 mm. Infil 20%, I used Gyroid pattern (in Cura). You will need one 16x2mm wooden screw to assemble. Any material should do, but I used a non-glossy black PLA from Polymaker.
You can download the model (STL format) from HERE

The only remaining issue I have is that the top part is printed slightly bit smaller in X direction (though having same sizes in design) making it a bit inaccurate on the side and slightly bent on the top. I have a design where I used leaner edge 1.2 vs 1.5mm but then the top part becomes a bit loose, I prefer the tight connection. Also created a 63.2mm version - better for 0.4mm nozzles - but that is a tighter fit for the expansion port happy

Please provide feedback, make your prints and advise if I should adjust something.

Cheers,
Karoly (Charles/DS)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-10-09
02:34:38
 Re: Cover for BSZ's SID card

Is that cartridge case for NST's Audio Extension V2.0 or C264's Audio Extension?

Posted By

BSZ
on 2022-10-09
11:51:51

@Charles: Looks good! Finally some box for the card! happy

@gerliczer: Seeing the screw on the bottom of the box, this is for the CAE. There is no hole in the NAE's PCB.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2022-10-09
12:45:10

Yeah, that looks decent enough. Probably much better to keep the card this way and protect the precious electronics inside.

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-10-09
16:02:20

This is designed for the recent board, "C264 Audio extension" (CAE). However the 2 boards look quite similar otherwise, I guess it's the same size as well, so with a bit of luck it can be used for the older model (you may need to break the screw stand if there is any component on the board at that spot but it's easy, and you will need to apply some glue at the edges instead of the screw). I am happy to make an adjusted version for the NAE if someone desires and confirms that these are the only changes needed

Posted By

siz
on 2022-10-10
02:52:06

> I guess it's the same size as well
They are not. I have both cards (in fact one of all 3 batches - yeah, I'm a hoarder but I have reasons why grin) and the old card is a bit narrower (about 1mm - I don't remember if in total or on both sides). And the old one does not have the mounting hole in the PCB so it can't be really fixed in the case.

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-10-10
16:26:56

@siz,
if you are interested, and precisely measure the NAE card, I am glad to create a modified case for that as well. Instead of screw we can apply some glue, or I can try to make it 'drawer style', so you can slide the board into the case. (more difficult to print and still needs some glue imho) Pls advise

Posted By

BSZ
on 2022-10-10
17:09:53

The width of the old / new card is not the same, the CAE is wider. (According to the software, the NAE is 57.6072mm, the CAE 60.0456mm, but the production is not that precise. happy About 1.2mm wider on each side.)

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-10-11
02:33:00

@Charles: Gluing is barbaric. What are you? Some kind of a mobile phone manufacturer? wink

Let's consider a slightly different design. The bottom half is a slide-in tray type holder of the card. It has guide rails on both sides for the top half. Buffers to stop the top in the right position. Recesses for the studs on the top half to lock the case vertically at the port end. And a buffer at the back side of the DB9 connector to lock the card in place from one direction. Both halves end in the plane of the DB9 connector's shield at the I/O end. The top half, as the actual "I/O shield", has the necessary cut-outs and recesses for the Joystick Connector, the Reset Button and the Audio Jack. It either covers the bolts of the Joystick Connector or protrudes between the bolts and the connector shield and towards the PCB and the other electromechanical assemblies as much as possible to lock the card in place from the opposite direction. And the whole cover is closed and locked vertically by a sub-M2-sized countersunk, anodized black screw from the bottom, between the Joystick Connector and Reset Button.

The case marking, obviously, should read as CAE in the current design, and NAE V2.0 in the possible design for the older cards. grin

Posted By

Charles
on 2022-10-13
13:18:50

@gerliczer,
this is something I will need to read twice or even more times grin
But before spending another long-long hours on it would be nice to know if this is really desired by at least a couple of folks here. I am not sure if you are familiar with 3D design and the basic printers' limitations but the slide-in tray alone is a challenge for printing, and the board must be clear of any parts and barbaric glue (which was also applied by BSZ on the resonator, or what is that part happy ) on the sides. I had an early version of this CAE model with slide-in "rail", but it did not work too well..

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024