Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-09-19
15:24:31
 Re: External User Port for the C16: Let's make it!

Wow,
1) great achievement! maybe I lost somewhere the information, but does it mean if you connect a Max232 circuit to the new user port, you can read the same way the serial data? On the other hand we have that nice RS232 port, but I am not sure about the proper protocol. or at which address? My ideas is around BSZGG's RS232 mouse project, somehow make it standard for the scene (after if works properly)

2) Your cute C16 project with C64 joystick and datasette ports! I am impressed! I will probabbly order one too.
I've just mentioned on a FB discussion, that simply those two changes on the C16 and plus/4 could save the range and they could have succeed.
I understood, that the tiny C116 could not handle those big connectors in the small housing, but the limitations of the new connectors simply killed the reviews of the 264 range at the magazines. Frankly speaking, the C116 was useless with the soft rubber keyboard for the main task: programming. As it was not a game machine, right?
Few comments:
-It is a smart choice to use the new C64 housing releases in black. This color fits the most to the breadbin shape, and it would cost the least for us happy.
-I also use PCBWay. There are so many nice projects related to C16, just to name few: solderless 64K upgrade, TED protector based on Levente's design, Blutooth joystick interface.
-TBH I prefer the C16 jack connector. That's why I think the C16 is the most preferred machine from the range.
Why? Because old C64 PSUs are known to kill the machines. The new modern ones are rather expensive, and we do NOT need the full power C64 PSU provides. We have a cute TED, not the power hungry VIC and SID :-)
So my point: You can get a regulated 9V switch mode PSU with that C16 jack dirt cheap! It works like charm. C16 power consumption is low (especially with EEPROMS), so 1.0 - 1.5 A should be more than enough.
So changing the psu connector to C64 type does not support the product future proof state, just the opposite, you will become depend on special and expensive future C64 PSU production batches. But it is just my opinion.
Please do not take it as a crytic, I also use my Plus/4 with a C64 PSU, but I prefer my C16.

-Actually my view is, that a USB port could fully support the C16 aims with a voltage doubler. Certainly I am selfish, because I do not use datasette any more (but the SD1541/II and 1571) happy On the other hand, a microUSB port, or even a USB-C port would provide enough power and stable enough 5V voltage for the computer.
Did I mention dirt cheap wall charger? If you have any smartphone came with USB charger, you do not need to buy anything like this, you simply have the proper PSU (except you bought an Apple iPhone and you did not get a charger tongue)

That's for now happy Maybe a doublepost later grin

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024