Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-07-28
06:48:54
 Re: Joystick Adapter component advice

Adding components to a joystick adapter is a new one... I don't believe any are found in the Hardware section here?

It's not something I've ever looked into but from memory it's the Ted chip that people want to protect so the mod is done directly to the mother board. I'm sure it was Christian Schaffner aka Solder who covered this, some diagram of what's what I recall. Maybe the right person who knows will see this and remember.

I've said it many times in the past... When using a joystick adapter, keep your joysticks simple and made for C64, make sure they have no flashy lights or crazy auto fire and you should be good. Competition Pro, Zip Stick, Cheetah 125. Official Vic20 stick are all fine.

DO NOT use multi button joypads like the ones made for a Amiga including Sega Megadrive pads on C16/Plus4!!!

Keep away from Quickshot sticks as some of these have flashy lights. Some of these also have rapid auto fires that ping the Ted chip so fast that over time the Ted may die so as a rule I never use auto fire.
If I remember correct Atari 2600 joysticks are wired sightly differently and may send power down the wrong wire... I don't use them any way.

Keep it simple, single fire button and made for C64 and you should be fine with a standard joystick adapter. I've been using standard joystick adapters for C16/Plus4 since 1985 and still do to this very day.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024