Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-04-02
05:43:09
 Re: Extending the capabilities of the 264 series

What do we think about interfacing the V9958 and RS232, can the design be adapted for our machines? The built in graphics capabilities of this chip would greatly simplify game development on the plus 4 and potentially bring a whole new dynamic to the scene... Thoughts ?

Probably doable but I know nobody who would be willing to do it. And you are actually very wrong. That card would not help game development at all. You see, if you make a game for the V9958 that game won't run on the Plus/4 or C=16 computers but only on an insignificant minority of them. If you want to write it with fallback to TED graphics then congratulations, you more than doubled the work.

Regarding the sound device debate: I don't think there is much interest in yet another or another two or three PSGs. The 8 bit Commodores have no history with the plethora of Yamaha synthesizer chips except maybe the YM3526 which was built in the C=64's Sound Expander and even slighter maybe the YM3812 which is the core of FM-YAM by Xentax. I do think that SID is plenty enough. We should work on making them more widespread if that is possible.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024