Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2022-03-28
17:23:45
 Better SVideo and Composite output

I was looking for a PSU circuit, when I faced this simple, but nice board, that may add crystal clear video output to the C16. It is possible to order it.

As far as I see, it adds extra resistors to the Luma and Chroma signals, so they may become compatible with the standards.

Anyhow the tuner is so noisy, I will never use RF output in the future.
It looks to be a nice improvement for my upgraded C16. (Maybe I will do the USB-C mod too? LOL)

The designer gets donation, if you order it from here.
You can have the PCB different colors, like red, black, blue. The PCBWay is professional and fast.

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Commodore_16_C16_RF_modulator_replacement_3d3f60bc.html

Posted By

CN
on 2022-03-29
08:36:04
 Re: Better SVideo and Composite output

I tried to order but the PCBway form is too complicated when I request the assembly option.... sad

Posted By

MIK
on 2022-03-29
09:57:38

Sometimes I think RF is something that could be worth a look at every now and then even if the image is not clear...

1. Most of us used RF from 1984-1989, until something better came a long like a an Amiga monitor and later better TV's. wink

2. RF's loss in quality made the image darker but that also improved the strength of the colors, a lot of colors and especially yellow via S-vid or Comp can look washed out. Increasing the screens colour via S-vid or Comp can help to an extent but RF will still be more vibrant.

3. You don't really see the virtical interference lines with RF once you have the screen setup to your preferred settings.

4. RF adds extra BASS to the sound quality.

The only down side with RF is the pixel sharpness quality which as we know is not as clear as we would like these days. That said I did try Arkanoid +4 with RF just so I could see the colors of the blocks looking more like it would of been in the 1980's. grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2024-03-24
16:32:35

My order arrived. Still want to buy an SVideo connector, though it will work without that too.

The topic only make sense if I do some "before' / "after" screenshots. :-D
Will need some time to prove it really works as expected.

I have few more pieces (because the assembly cost drastically reduced if I ordered more), and I will sell them (profit) free, as per the free project requirement.

OFF
It will be the next step in my "Wonder C16" project, has
-6502Plus4 CPU with 512KB SRAM (Lotharek)
-JiffyDOS (from MCes). Unfortunately Jiffy is swithing off the screen during load (it could not handle the badlines as on C64, though it could load only on the bottom/top border area)
-all ROMs swapped to low power consumption EPROMs (MCes)
-Stable strong new DC PSU (local shop :-) )
+SID card (NST) for the mouse LOL , I plan to buy an Amiga one
-ReVox, DigMooz, SoundX modules for the great music (from Sukkopera)
-Also my good old Max232 circuit for my RS232 Mouse(s)
-now the Tuner free circuit for clearer picture :-)

I also plan to build in a fix SD2IEC inside as a HDD (set as #9). IEC signals will be taken with the help of alligator clips connected to the IEC connector pins from inside.
(mainly to build up a nice collection on an SD card as a fix library, can really work as a HDD of the PCs).

As you can see the C16 has plently of space for that action (much more than the Plus/4), and the internal heat already reduced
Unfortunately C16 has no user port for the 5V power source. Probably will take the 5V from the datasette connector FB14 pin, also with an insulated alligator clip.
The datasette and the #9 device is not expected to work together.

The boxed Commodore 16 donor is organised by my friend, George few years ago.
I could not find a working one in Hungary, and he was very kind to help me out in this project.

Posted By

bszggg
on 2024-04-02
12:11:46

If You finalize the change You should share the experience with the Svideo connection

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024