Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Verona
on 2022-03-17
04:28:57
 Kick Assembler question: Is there any caveats when used to code on Plus 4?

Hy!

I want to develop code on a VSCode + Kick Ass combo on Linux.
I can set up that as I seen it on the OldSkoolCoder's Youtube channel, that's ok.

My question is there are anything that I must watch out, when I write a code for Plusy?
(i.e., is there any C64 specific stuff in the Kick Ass, or just works fine out-of-the-box?)

Or is there any advice, etc., for a Kick Ass newbie?

Thanks for the opinions!

Posted By

siz
on 2022-03-17
07:18:01
 Re: Kick Assembler question: Is there any caveats when used to code on Plus 4?

You can use it as it is.
For inspiration you can check out my IOLib on GitHub (https://github.com/iszell/siziolibv3) as I've recently migrated it to KickAss.
I use Notepad++ as editor and there is a NotePad++ syntax highlight "plugin" online.

Posted By

Verona
on 2022-03-17
17:06:16

Thanks, siz, and I will check out your IOLib, too.

But Notepad++ is not for a Linux user (maybe Notepadqq?), if I must use some M$ software,
I will use a native, ported one. The VSCode is look like a worthy try one, so I give it a shot.
But I will remember your suggestion.

Thanks again.

PS: When I take a look at the manual of Kick Ass, I didn't believe that... Complex arithmetics, IF, FOR, etc. WOW!
It's unbelievable!

I am afraid, it's too good to be true, maybe the end code will be slow or large? I wonder...

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2022-03-18
04:02:08

/OFF
But Notepad++ is not for a Linux user...
Actually, that is not necessarily true. AFAIK, there is a snap package of it. You can use that, hypothetically, without much hassle.
/ON

Posted By

siz
on 2022-03-18
04:11:54

> PS: When I take a look at the manual of Kick Ass, I didn't believe that... Complex arithmetics, IF, FOR, etc. WOW!
> It's unbelievable!
>
> I am afraid, it's too good to be true, maybe the end code will be slow or large? I wonder...

Those feature are compile-time only. They can be used to generate data tables and code. They will generate the exact code you make them. There is no "runtime" added with support functions.

KickAss is just an ordinary macro assembler with features more or less equal to (for example) 64Tass.

Posted By

Verona
on 2022-03-18
16:16:35

Gerliczer:

"The Notepad++ snap package uses an embedded version of Wine that helps it run on Linux. So basically, you’re running Notepad++ through Wine, but without setting up Wine first. It’s not the best way, but it’s definitely a convenient method for using Notepad++ on Linux."

No, that's a no-way to me. Native first. Always. If the native way not works, then maybe there's a hacked way.
I am not new in Wine. I made an automated install script for wine to run games, so it installs fonts, DirectX libraries, registry hacks, .Net4.0, etc. Not long ago, I made a wine install with .Net 4.6.2. for our accountant software, which is win only.
(We use customized Linux Mint Cinnamon desktops at my workplace for all daily work)

But I like the native way better. And I prefer flatpak over snap.

Csabo said, there are some member at this forum, who uses Linux for development.
I think, maybe we will make a forum topic dedicated to speak about Linux tools, methods, etc. and share our experiences.
Using Windows and tools on it usually not a problem, but on Linux, it requires some special solution.

Posted By

Doug
on 2022-03-19
15:06:18

I used kick extensively - it's brilliant. No C64 assumptions in there, at least none that I found.

I started developing The Pit on Linux, but then moved to Windows (long story -was using the family PC and I was in a minority of one when it came to preferring Linux).

The move to Windows was easy since Kick is written in Java. My development flow used standard Linux tools (sed, awk, grep etc) but they're all available under Windows too.

Posted By

Verona
on 2022-03-20
17:49:53

Doug:

Sad story... I'm quite the opposite. I must keep a Win+Linux dual boot, because CBMPrgStudio. But now, I moved the development environment to Linux, at last. The only thing I want is a good char+tile+screen designer program.
I saw the Char Pad Pro, it's looking very good, but Win only.

I can't understand this. In the ancient times, Amiga users hate the PC, C64 users too. And then, they grown up and make all the good tools for Win. If I can make tools like they, I will surely make that cross platform, like Kick Ass, or Multipaint.
And if something may work, then there is the fact, that it's made for C64. (Ok, far more users, I got it.)

But now I am happy with the VSCode (yes, I know it's an M$ software) + Kick Ass combo. It's fast and comfy.
I'm back at the good old coding times.

And what I like too, it's the codebase64! So much know-how are in the coder's hand, but if someone new want to start, I think it's somehow harder like in the 80's. Nowadays, there is internet, mobile phones, etc. but the community somehow vanishing.

I bet the OldSkoolCoder's followers has more beard than hair, too. On the other hand, I like the indie game creators. They often use pixel-style graphics, and (judged from the youtubers views) the majority of gamers like that. So, how is that? I don't know.

But I wandered off so...

Posted By

zzarko
on 2022-03-26
16:33:31

Menu code for Magic Cartridge Generator (https://bitbucket.org/zzarko/magic-cartridge-generator/) for both C64 and Plus/4 was written using KickAssembler, and the upcoming C128 version is also.

Regarding IDEs, I gave up on CBMPrgStudio since it is win only (same as 8bit-Unity, http://8bit-unity.com/), but then found TRSE (https://lemonspawn.com/turbo-rascal-syntax-error-expected-but-begin/) and became quite satisfied with it. It has a very good compiler.

Posted By

carrion
on 2022-03-28
03:36:22

Hi Guys.
Let me add few cents to this discussion.
I recently discovered KickC (and developed C64 game in it) It's a C "layer" on top of Kick Asm and IMO this makes it perfect combination. It has target to generate plus/4 code so you are ready to code for +4 right away. It generate amazingly good asm code from C and in any time you can switch and code parts in asm (embeded in C code). Perfect solution for me! Highly recommended!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024