Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mad
on 2022-02-24
07:50:50
 Re: Is there such a thing as an interlaced picture for the +4?

OFF:
Just some silly maybe useless idea..

In the past (around 1996) I was forced to invent a new graphics mode for an upcoming game. It was Tunnel B1 by Neon Software.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6wOnNVpaVk..

The thing is the graphics back then didn't support Hicolor (16 bit = 65536 colors). There was a boss who said, "you invent something or I don't let you out of your working room"... So I was forced to be in this room for 2 weeks..

I came up with the idea to double the resolution of a normal 256 color VGA signal by the so called ModeX. So you got a 320x400 picture.. And choose to display 6 bit of green in one line and 3.5 bit of blue and 4 bit of red in every other line, so the color information was spread over two lines. I mean we got this PAL phase inversion somehow.. Maybe it would make sense to build a converter featuring real interlace + PAL phase inversion on every other line? Not sure of this, since I am certainly not the one to build a converter for this mode..

But if it worked for a commercial game in the 90s maybe it is also not detestable to the viewers today.. (A german mag titled that "we wanted to spare performance" by just rendering every second line, though)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024