Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

javierglez
on 2021-09-24
08:45:25
 Re: Help troubleshooting

Thanks MMS, the old CPU now produces a black screen, I guess I witnessed its final moments. I swapped the CPU and now it boots correctly and can read a disk directory. I only have C64 disks at hand, so I can't run them. But it reports the usual 60k something bytes free, for the moment I'm assuming the rest of the board wasn't damaged.

But yes, I can't understant how a bad CPU can produce such weird visual effects that would point more to RAM/ROM&TED.

I feel relatively fortunate because tomorrow I attend a meetup, and this is my only 64k C16 (I have an unexpanded one too - I haven't decided which one I will set up). I have a couple Plus/4 readily available but they weren't sold over here, although if the meetup was CBM specific this wouldn't matter.

I already ordered a replacement from Hungary. I'm considering getting one of these new substitutes too, the 256k looks interesting, but apparently there's no software for it yet.

The CPU for the faulty C16 comes from another Plus 4 I own which has what looks to me some minor memory issue. I've been wanting to try the RAM piggyback technique for some time actually.

I own a C16 board without TED/CPU and major memory issues - the startup screen appears almost empty. I had no intention to fix this one but I may change my mind now.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024