Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-09-18
15:03:39
 Re: Sir Clive Sinclair has died, father of the ZX Spectrum!

My first contact with "western hardware" was a ZX81. I remember modifying a basic program of the older brother of a class mate to output stupid nonsense instead of the original texts. Not too proud of that, but the computer itself was really impressive for me.
In the GDR we didn't knew such kind of technology, like almost all "western technology" it had a look and feel like a toy but was capable of doing more than most of our own "eastern" computers. At least it seemed to me superior. Never had contact to a real ZX Spectrum but I can say, that most of the games are really impressive, mainly by the sheer CPU power. Uh these guys scroll the screen by moving/shifting bitmap memory and all that only by CPU? Lately I read that the "FLI" Modes of the Spectrum are done via memory copying.. :/ Pretty tough stuff, seems to be one of the most capable computers back then.. Seems like the Spectrum catapulted the home computers into a new era. And as far as I know the plus/4 originally should've been a competitor for its sheer market power at that time. R.I.P.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024