Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-10-12
18:18:08
 FPGA core on the Turbo Chameleon 64

If you own a Turbo Chameleon 64, this C16/Plus4 core works in standalone mode using the docking station. You don't need a C64. Just hook the docking station up to a monitor. We know about the Ultimate64 and The C64 Mini/Maxi, but this is the only FPGA solution I know of for our system.

Download Here

You can use a PC keyboard, but I've asked on the Chameleon forum if it will take a C16 keyboard also as you can use a C64 one, I have a spare. Here's the link to the main topic.

I was told by an icomp developer.
“The C16 keyboard has the same connector, but a different matrix where only about half of the keyboard can be scanned correctly by the Docking Station (both versions). This is a hardware limitation that can only be overcome with an adapter.”

I've also asked what kind of adapter so am just awaiting a reply. I guess a PC keyboard will suffice in the meantime.

Update:
Received a couple of replies.

From the icomp developer again.
“The adapter alone won't correct the issue - it will only make the matrix available to the core, which then would have to be supported by Alastair's core. So far, such an adapter does not exist. I could design something that will at least work for 32 keys, but Alastair would have to take care of adapting his key map for the other half.”

Here’s hoping.

Another, this time from the C16/Plus4 core developer.
“Sounds good. Note that I'm not currently doing any major remapping - so currently in the C16 core the keys match the C16 keyboard physical locations, and not what's printed on the C64 keycaps.”

It sounds like he’s keen on the idea. After all he wants people to use his core. Anyone else here who is keen too, let them know in the forum. otherwise even if you don’t own a Chameleon anything else you can think of to support the idea could see something happening sooner.

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-09-14
13:28:53
 Re: C16/Plus4 Core on the Turbo Chameleon 64

Hello, thank you for the valuable information.

Turbo Chameleon was a nice and expensive toy, and could really emulate a lot of platforms. As my main platform was always the 264 series, I did not find it interesting enough (though I admit it is a strong and powerful device)

It is a really great news. Maybe my opinion will change soon? happy
Still CORR: Sidekick264 (bad: Kickstart264) is a little ahead, though Turbo Chameleon can emulate a lot of hardwares.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-10-12
18:18:24

Heyo MMS
As the C64 is also my main machine (I have no favourite between the two) I bought a Chameleon. I’ve been awaiting a 264 core for a while. Hope the C16/Plus4 keyboard compatibility happens.

I’ve been out of the loop here lately. What’s Kickstart264? Is it anything like Gideon’s Ultimate64 project? happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-09-14
13:30:16
 Re: C16/Plus4 Core on the Turbo Chameleon 64

Sorry, my bad happy

It's really not Kickstart264, but Sidekick264 LOL

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-10-13
00:18:08

Update 1. The developer is making quick progress with the adapter. I've offered my services for testing.

Update 2: Testing will soon be underway. the adapter developer is posting me two adapters. One for the core developer who I'll be lending my spare keyboard to for testing the core, and one for myself. Wooo.

The adapter production data will then be made public domain.

P.S. I don't suppose anyone has a spare keyboard for sale? They're extortionate on fleabay.

Update 3: They’ve arrived.

Only the one on the left has the C116/Plus4 keyboard connector as well as C16. I will be sending the one on the right to the core developer which just has the C16 connector.

Update: I forgot to add the actual download link here. See first post. Well he's just about added the option to plug in a real C16 keyboard, finally now going to add D64 support. Will be testing the core when he's uploaded the next update. I've also asked him to add crt support too, and also the ability to use a real disk drive which he is now looking into. As far as I know, this is the only FPGA solution for the 264 series. Played the Arkanoid+4 prg file last night and so far so good. This FPGA core has lots of potential for the future.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024