Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-08-22
07:20:22
 Re: AROK 2021...

Hello Guys! I was happy that we had an Arok again, and I could do my humble contribution to it.
This year was a pretty strong one, some of the demo effects were out of this world, but at least from 8bit possibilities.
Unfortunately I missed some of the compos due to personaly matters, sorry I could not see the WIild stuff

@carrion: congratulations to the first place! Fantastic image (art)!
@Chronos: very cute picture, maybe it should have been ranked little higher

Update:
Yepp, it is strange. I uploaded a BMP image with no spots, then the thumb and the zoomed pictures are all around with dots (you cannot do it in PETCII)

My proud 8th position comes from the fact
a) it was a work in hurry, there could be some improvement potentials I skipped.
I was happy to able to pack my stuff and send it
b) PETSCII cannot play in the same legue of eyegasm, as an FLI picture (art)
It cannot be changed, comes from the limiations.
When you use ECM to overcome the color limiations, then you have only letters and numbers. Very limited
If you modify the charset to able to use PETSCII gfx characters in ECM mode to have more colors, then you are a cheater... (although I think a modified charset ECM is the same as a FLI from technical point of view, as both need extra code to be able to show improved image, and still no HW modification done).

Maybe next year I will come with an ECM picture.
Unfortunately we have no proper ECM editor on this machine.
CBM PRG Studio mixes up the colors with the C64, Marq's PETSCII does not support it, and the one that really works on C64 is Krisz's online PETSCII editor (my fav), but I could not convience Krisz to add Plus/4 as a platform.
As I see in modified charset ECM a huge potential, I may try to create a converter and convert the finished C64 ECM into a Plus/4 (but it means limited colors).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024