Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

psycode
on 2021-08-18
06:49:07
 Trying to find UK magazine program listing from 1987

I've been trying to find a program listing for years, but I don't remember what the listing was called or what magazine it was in!

The only thing I remember was a full page advert for Stifflip & Co. that was on the previous page to the listing. At the time (I was about 7) I thought the advert was related to the listing, only later I realised it was completely unrelated but now that's the only part that sticks in my memory.

I've looked through scans of lots of UK magazines including Commodore User, Your Commodore, Your Computer, Popular Computing Weekly, Commodore Computing International and possibly some others, but with no luck. All I know is that the advert seems to appear in magazines around June/July 1987, and the listing is probably for Commodore 16/plus 4, maybe C64.

Any help would be much appreciated, I would love to find this to relive some childhood memories. I have a strong memory of typing or attempting to type it in, but I just can't find it anywhere. Surely I can't be going crazy!?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-08-18
08:25:51
 Re: Trying to find UK magazine program listing from 1987

It's going to be very tough to find something like this... Most of the regulars on the site did not grow up in England (me included), so they (we) didn't even know about these magazines until the age of the internet. There are some folks who probably did read these... but from your description this is a very long shot happy

I think your best bet is probably one of the many Spectrum sites, like this one, look up the game, they are pretty good at having details of exactly where the game was advertised. Check those mags in particular. Hope this helps happy

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-08-18
09:41:27

Maybe it was ZZAP 64 magazine, very popular with C64 users at the time and yeah - half the mag was adverts.wink

Posted By

psycode
on 2021-08-18
10:23:32

I guessed it was probably a long shot happy

I've checked out Spectrum Computing and World of Spectrum but no luck. It's pretty cool they have links to the magazine scans where the ad appears. I'll look at some other Spectrum sites in case something comes up.

I also looked at Zzap64, didn't take long to find the advert but seems like they don't have any type-ins. C+VG also have the ad, but looks like they stopped printing type-in games by 1987.

Posted By

psycode
on 2021-08-19
06:22:24

I think I finally found it! If I'm not mistaken, it was Computer Gamer magazine June 1987. I can't recall that particular magazine, but the logo on the front of the magazine definitely looks familiar, and the game listing 'Caves of Hell' is for the C16/Plus 4 and does ring some bells. There isn't an ad on the immediate previous page as I remember, but maybe I'm just not remembering it exactly right.

Thanks Csabo for pointing me to look at Spectrum sites, I found the info here https://zxinfo.dk/details/0004899

I look forward to typing that into my Plus/4 when I have some free time happy

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-08-19
08:20:03

Nice! happy If you want to skip typing, that game is up on the site: Caves of Hell, from the game's page you can get to the magazine listing as well.

Glad we could help!

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-08-20
11:50:10

Nice Find!
I just checked some Your Commodore scans, and surprisingly in 1986 still a lot of type-in programs and games reviewed for our platform.

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-08-20
15:40:01

1986 was a good year for C16/Plus4. happy

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024