Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-06-02
09:07:22
 About time the TED series was put to rights?

The People's Computer
The Amiga of the 8bit world
Used as a computer by it's users and not just a games machine
Joystick adapters were all part of the plan, sold as 'port savers' for other machines today!
For BASIC the manual was actually useful unlike some claims by non-believers...
Reset Button - the envy of many an 8bit machine
Built-in machine code monitor - from exploring, hacking and even programming, all were welcome!
Ted Sound - allowed for solid & meaty SFX
Ted has it's issues but they forget many early 8bits died on mass making Ted look more reliable in reflection!

Just a few thoughts and ideas. Feel free to add more, 'TED comes before VIC in the computer alphabet' views. grin

Posted By

Csabo
on 2021-06-02
09:40:39
 Re: About time the TED series was put to rights?

121 colors! It's just the right amount of colors one can have happy

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-06-02
15:03:29

Well said grin

-The programming powerhouse for kids
-More colors on screen than whan Amiga could deal with (except HAM, but who used it anyway?)
(OK, MSX2 is still better)
-Soft sprite powa! grin

Posted By

carrion
on 2021-06-04
03:42:34

"-The programming powerhouse for kids"

this is exactly what it was for me. I remember spending many hours programming in basic on my C116, to later discover this magic thing called MONITOR. I knew it's kool but had no idea what machine code or assembly is. I knew I have to learn that thing.
and yes!... the colors! playing with multi Botticelli back then was so fun.

then when I bought C64 I was stunned that the basic is useless and to use MONITOR I have to buy cartridge. the colors were also a disappointment, but... games were so much better happy

anyway. c116 family seen from today's perspective were great as a first computer for me.

Posted By

SVS
on 2021-06-04
06:12:42

Just to be added:
- first computer with Functio keys on the top line of keyboard;
- real cursor keys (making possible to use while eyes aim the monitor);
- Help key;
- 3+1 ROM programs (I realize I am one of the few ones appreciating it).

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-06-04
12:34:03

Some more:
+ clean memory layout!
+ double buffering
+ hardware bitmap scroll
+ double speed (with screen off)
+ ntsc + pal in one
+ hardware intern sample playback functionality
+ graphic commands in Basic
+ Pal/Ntsc signal modificable to have smaller screen with more performace, or other screen
refresh frequencies possible than 50/60Hz
+ ...
* nice look of this computer

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-06-14
09:37:30

Some good ones guys. Else where on the web this type of topic can cause issues and arguments but really this is not about that. It's just here as a reference point to highlight what is GOOD! happy

The 1551 floopy drive

The 1531 dattasette's different connector largly stopped C64 and Vic20 users from stealing our hardware. Many 1531's are low mileage units thanks to the majority of retail games making use of the C16's 12k of memory. 12k Turbo loaders would take around 32-36 on the number counter were as C64 would load the average game with loading screen to 100+ on the number counter. A small amount of adapters were made so C64 and Vic20 could make use of the 1531. The chances of finding a good working 1531 vs the over used 1530 are much higher and is one of our best kept secrets. grin

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-06-14
18:25:11

A lot of valid comments, especially the clean memory layout, and easy mapping of video, character and (multiple) color ram.
(the function key fact susprised me a little, but IBM PC really kept it's function keys to the left...)

LOL, the last one is great grin
Low mileage 1531 datasette VS 1530 is like a Lotus Omega kept in garage for 20 years VS the Opel Omega with quarter milion miles (except the 1531 is not faster than 1530 happy )

Posted By

Litwr
on 2021-06-19
12:38:00

IMHO for the complete picture, people must also list drawbacks too. However I hardly can list many drawback items. Now I can say about disk drives: they were too expensive and they were too slow. You know that the older Apple II and Atari 800 can get up to 5 KB/s while C1541 stuck around 400. Indeed this drive issue is common for many Commodore models: VIC-20, C64, and (partially) C128.
Another shortcoming was absence of a standard mouse. And, of course, built-in software could have been better.

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-06-19
13:20:21

@Litwr
Well said! I could list several missing things (POTX,POTY lines, no easy memory expansion, etc) and missed opportunities (cost no money to realize, just a little more thinking), but hey, this is not THAT topic grin

Posted By

Litwr
on 2021-06-19
14:38:55

The C264 at $79 in 1984 - it would have been... WOW!
I am sure that the numerous mouse interfaces for it would have been appeared in 1985.

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024