Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

GeTE
on 2021-04-05
14:17:59
 GamePad for C16, 116 and plus/4

Hello everyone,

after all those years I asked for a proper account to be able to upload some pictures ... and I got it, yeah!

Well, therefore I will start with a decal I created to see what you think about it. RetroGameBoyz made/make a NES-like controller to be fitted on the C64-needs and many people say that it works well, but I think the original decal is not that nice:

https://retrogameboyz.com/products/commodore-64-atari-2600-flashback-9-x-controller-joystick-up-to-jump-map-gamepad?variant=39282879266871

Posted By

GeTE
on 2021-04-05
14:20:01
 Re: GamePad for C16, 116 and plus/4

I did the job and created a new decal for the C64 ... and one for all the 264.

In the following picture I tried to explain why I made it this way and I hope to hear about what you think.

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-04-05
17:13:22

Well, if they offer it specifically for the 264 series, and even put it on the front, then it should work properly.
Please let us know your findings. I am sure I could make new high-scores with a propewr gamepad. 3 years ago I tried an other one, but key signal lines were missing, so I could not rebuild them for 264.

Posted By

GeTE
on 2021-04-06
07:53:18

In the next step I will print the decals properly and see how that looks like. In between I hope you might help me because to persuade RetroGameBoyz to make a 264 gamepad, I should give them a hint where to order the plugs. Did anyone here have an idea who in the united states offers plugs (or better: plugs molded with the cable) like this one?

https://www.polyplay.xyz/Joystick-Connector-C16-C116-Plus-4
(This here is a german shop and the shiping costs to the US will surely be much to high)

For a first impression I printed the decal on standard paper with an old HP DeskJet and shiped it to Flubber (from Forum64), who has a RetroGameBoyz-controller to see what that might look like:

Posted By

MIK
on 2021-04-06
10:23:24

The Gamepad 64 should have the primary colours as seen on the old C64 badge, I know it might not looks as nice but that's how C64 is. wink

One thing I would say is that the D-pad in the official NES pads was poor for diagonals so not the best choice even if it's a possible one - that's if it copies the original pad. SNES 'd-pad' is a better choice for total control on demand. Innext USB SNES pad or something like it might be an idea as an alternative to get a better D-pad but then a face plate to cover up the unused buttons might be needed.

In Europe they had a pad for the Amiga, google image: amiga action am pad
Made by Logic 3, Red button is Auto Fire and Blue is Fire. The bumper buttons do the same thing as the buttons.
These work fine on C64 as I have two of them but DO NOT use them on the 264 series as they have a micro chip inside and when I tested one on a C16 strange characters were being displayed for the inputs when I pushed up/down/left/right. I quickly switched the C16 off and removed it, thankfully it didn't damage the TED chip.

Posted By

retroscener
on 2021-04-06
18:59:10

This is mine. Pretty sure it’s from the same guys. Second button again is up (for jump). Has the standard plug so obviously I use an adapter.

45-EE93-A3-00-D7-4-ADE-B77-E-74-DD11098-DC4

Posted By

GeTE
on 2021-04-26
12:06:33

@MIK

Well yes, if the molded case from RetroGameBoyz would be beige, my design would be different. But their cases are always black and therefore I think even my C64-design harmonizes with the case ... and if you think it should fit to an C64, you just have to buy one of the new and black cases: wink
https://shop.pixelwizard.eu/commodore-c64/gehaeuse/4/c64c-gehaeuse-retro-black?c=40

I did it and I think only these machines should stand together under your television (surely Ira Velinsky's design for the plus/4 is still better than what a C64 - even in black - may look like) grin

Besides the GamePads: Well, the only contemporary one I knew is the QuickShot Starfighter 1 (QS-200) that was also sold as TecnoPlus Swift. In my opionion the 64GS failed because this game console tried to compete with a joystick (the tool for us older homecomputer user) with gamepad-based systems like the NES and the Master System. The Starfighter 1 should have been in the box with the change of the switch not for autofire but for the second button to be "Up" or the second button wiring.

Well, I drifeted a little. Next time there will be hopefully pictures of better made decals here in the thread and I got further in persuaing the californian guy to build us an overall beautiful GamePad. Let's see how far I will come with this project. happy

UPDATE

Today the post was here and I got the professional made decals ... and they sparcle (where the silver shines through):

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024