Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2021-02-13
15:22:11
 Re: Come and meet the new Commdore Plus/4c

Well, actually I like the C64C compact and (C128 like) design.
It looks modern, unfortunately they did not add anything useful to that nicer package (except cheaper board and less power hungry ICs- they could add an improved (backwards compatible) BASIC, monitor, reset button (eh), or even a corrected IEC handling or something like JiffyDOS). Just to make it worth to rebuy for the ppl laready had a C64 happy (I am a marketing genius grin )
Yeah, I also did not like so much the C64 cursor buttons...

A little OFF to react to retroscener:
I do not know, which keyboard introduced this shape cursor keys we do have currently on the PC keyboard (I dunno how to call it), but very intuitive. I can say (except the surface and press feeling) the Plus/4 is very close to perfect, while the C16 just clones the Apple II, just put it at an arkward place. (same as Spectrum +2)

http://xahlee.info/kbd/ibm_pc_keyboards.html

As far as I see, this separated cursor keys on Plus/4 (and C116) appeared earlier than on the PC, as the first one was the IBM M keyboard in 1986 (certainly there could be other platforms already had such a good layout). CPC 464 had a separated kcursor block at a same arkward position (with a fire button), appeared in 1984. One with keyboard has the current cursor layout was CPC 6128, appeared at the mid of 1985 8 (with real, big buttons).

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024