Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

JimmyCoupe
on 2021-01-11
12:57:23
 Can I recommend Baremetal Plus4 to anyone?

Has anybody on here tried building themselves a Raspberry Pi powered Commodore Plus4?

I have just finished building one and OMG this thing is just awesome.

I recently came across a Raspberry Pi emulator called BMC64. This is a baremetal emulator for the C64. They also do one called BMPlus4Emu which only runs on a Pi3, dam this emulator is good. This is more than just an emulator, it is a custom written kernal that removes any need for an OS with the result being a boot time the same as the original plus4's. If anyone has a Raspberry Pi3 hanging around and a spare micro SD card then I would highly recommend searching BMC64 on the internet and popping over to the website and downloading BMPlus4Emu. Forget BMPlus4, this one is based on Vice and is no where near as good.

If anybody is interested I have put a Raspberry Pi3b inside a C64 breadbin with a C16 keyboard using the Keyrah V2 to wire up the keyboard and allow for 2 proper Atari connection style joysticks. I will upload some pictures of the finished project and parts list if anybody is interested.

Posted By

Mad
on 2021-01-11
15:29:32
 Re: Can I recommend Baremetal Plus4 to anyone?

Wow cool! Really nice to see people having a decent Plus4 emulation running.. I have seen some people in a c64 forum telling that no one should use Yape or Plus4emu, that vice is the best plus4 emulator. It's hard to read if you know that vice is so much flawed for more advanced plus/4 stuff, almost all our productions failed with vice in one point or another.. Nice to have baremetal alternative to vice there! grin I hope some day vice will be improved, all these C64 guys adore vice (and most probably beeing rightly so for the C64). Thanks for this hint to a (I'd say) working emulator! happy

Posted By

Retroshire
on 2021-05-05
05:25:08
 Re: Can I recommend Baremetal Plus4 to anyone?

I configured this BMC64 emulator with my Rpi3 and is works very well with Plus4emu. Nice to have SID music on the demos.

Any idea why there is only one diskdrive to select, while in the VICE emulator you can choose more than one?

Also there is no printeremulation within BMC64?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024