Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Basman
on 2020-12-27
18:50:28
 Re: Novamaker release and testing

Luca wrote:

> the example pack also have header.prg and loader.prg, which actually should be the Novaload splitted into two, right?

Exactly. As you probably know, most tape loaders are made like that. A standard CBM header is 192 bytes long, though it only contains a 16 characters filename, a file type (1 byte) and a load range (4 bytes). So a 3rd party tape loader is often partly contained in the CBM header, while the remaining part is in the actual PRG that follows. On the C64, I've come across at least a couple of loaders that are entirely contained in the header, while the PRG part just consists of 2 bytes that overwrite a system vector when loaded, causing the execution of the code that's in the header.
I chose the terms "header" and "loader" for my tool, but you're right, it's the loader split in 2.

> The fact that you again use my cracked game which fixes the $07FC value by itself means that it has been left to the user to be solved, right?

Yes, I removed the $07FC restoration feature because it hindered the readability of the code and it is impractical (if at all possible) to automatically patch unknown loaders or prg's that way.

> You should try my game's crack, but with the file NOVA 03 saved and run to $06AD, cutting off the forced fix I put into it wink

I will, you made me curious! grin

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024