Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

Litwr
on 2020-11-03
12:58:08
 Re: ASCII Art Mandelbrot

Good news! Thanks to Gaia's idea I have made FBI+4 utility which speeds up the C+4 Basic and makes it matching C64, BBC Micro, or Amstrad CPC Basics. The results for ASCII Mandelbrot is about 35% faster now! It is 361.02s, it is faster than the C64!
It is a bit odd that nobody wrote such a simple utility to this time. Using this way optimization allows us to easily fix the C+4 bugs (like the RS-232 bug), optimize firmware, add new features to it, increase size of RAM available for Basic, accelerate Basic more (faster graphics, io, ...), ... We can completely rewrite ROM and load its functions as a program.
@MMS The MSX2 uses extra cheap and slow DRAM chips which require wait states from the Z80. So the MSX2 is generally matching the Amstrad CPC performance, but Locomotive Basic was newer and much faster than MSX Basic.
@gerliczer Sorry I know little about this hardware. The program is freely available in text. If you have those machines or their emulators it can be quite easy to ran this program there. BTW I still don't know how to run this program on the Atari 8-bit. It would be quite interesting to get results from there.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024