Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-11-02
07:41:04
 Re: Video Socket Pin5 is Another Audio Output. Proof.

Most of gerliczer's answer is correct.

Except "As there's no such thing. (For that matter, neither in any 8 bit machine's BASIC, ever.)"
C128's BASIC supported the waveform programming (ENVELOP) and even music playback (PLAY, TEMPO) from BASIC for SID.

Octasoft BASIC 7.0 on a cartridge supported the exact same commands, if you are lucky, they kept it for SID, and used the same SID address as the original C64 / 128 one.

In this case just the SID address need to be changed on the SID card (possible to change) or in the emulator. There is a jumper for this on the card, but even in the YAPE you can change the base address between the original C64 and Plus/4 typical register start address.

I never tested, how if somehow they could manage it on TED (would be a miracle, waveform and multichannel music playback, eh). The commands gave no sound on TED, so there is a chance.

On this link you can find the Hungarian description of Octasoft BASIC
The best would first try it in emulator. Still I do not have the time, but I am curious too. (but can be burned into EPROM, and used in real machine, I suppose it would work instead of 3+1 ROMs too, no?)

http://www.amiga.hu/amigos/plus4/plus4/basic7/octasoft_b70.pdf

This is how you need to set it up:
http://www.amiga.hu/amigos/plus4/plus4/basic7.htm

In the Hungarian text you certainly have no luck to fully understand it, but I have two good news:
-They seems to be 100% clone of the C128 commands, so any C128 English BASIC documentation for the command will do the job
-If you check out the ENVELOPE and PLAY commands, you find some example programs too.

The Hungarian tester told, that the PLAY command seems to did something, but he hear nothing on TED.
It means, that Octasoft programmer may kept the original routines with the SID, and as the Plus/4 had no SID, he heared nothing. But with a SID card it could be an other story.

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024