Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

kopsec
on 2020-09-06
05:15:59
 For sale DIAG 264 Commodore Diagnostic Cartridge + Harness

Ideal for testing machine functions, DIAG264 software version 0.94. Works on C16, +4 & 116.
Included GOLD ENIG catridge and the port loopbacks for testing user port, serial port, tape port, keyboard and joysticks.

Price 54.90€ +shipping

https://postimg.cc/gallery/QsqGNdP

Posted By

crock
on 2020-09-07
12:44:21
 Re: For sale DIAG 264 Commodore Diagnostic Cartridge + Harness

Good to see you crediting the author...

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-09-07
12:51:10

Quite a dick move, innit?

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-09-07
13:18:33

Well, we could assume that no offense was meant. OP could be under the impressions that everyone on this forum is familiar with Diag 264. He's reselling a used unit, right? How much are you selling new ones for, crock?

Posted By

crock
on 2020-09-07
13:29:16

I don't sell them. I make it available for people to make their own.
If people do choose to sell to make a profit off my work, I just ask that they credit me.
These units are made by the OP.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-09-07
14:32:35

Partially OFF

Actually I am that kind of guy collecting a lot of useful stuff, circuit diagrams, concepts, ideas, but I am lacking the skills (and patience) to produce boards and solder such stuff. I also realized my motoric functions degraded over the years, maybe a side effect of my lyme infection few years ago.

So if possible, I also buy them from the authors, or if they do not produce it (probably full of work, other tasks, family, or just find it boring (it is really not a really creative thing to mass produce boards (but eg the developer of Amiga Vampyre board does all himself)), etc ) then I ask some professionals to do it as commission.
It was the case with IEC2IEE adapter, after some mails with the German designer (NLQ) I connected to the famous Codekiller (SwinSID Ultimate) to help me out. It took some months, as he was busy with more important (profitable) projects, but finally I could use my SFD-1001 with my C64 and Plus/4. I am not experienced programming up ATMEGA8 and other microcontrollers, so it saved me hundreds of hours of learning (or more probably trying and giving it up).

ON:
despite DIAG264 is a great tool,I do not really need it. I know what is wrong: my only +4 PSU. I have one Plus/4 with C64 socket, and it works great.
That's why I prefer my 64K C16. Less prone to die than +4 (except the PSU, as the Graetz is really weak VS demand from the computer, my original one died when the datasette started)

Posted By

kopsec
on 2020-09-07
15:31:54

crock, I was thinking that everyone here knows DIAG264, but is my fault not to mention you.

My goal is to make them available for people that can't make themselves. Thanks for sharing all the info and schematics of this great tool for diagnostic of the 264 series.

I apologize if you feel ofended for my action, you can delete my message if you feel incomfortable with it.

Posted By

crock
on 2020-09-07
17:17:02

@MMS: No problem with any of that.

@kopsec. What people know or don't know is irrelevant. Is your defence that everyone knows who created Diag264 so it's OK to credit yourself and not the author on the PCB's?

It baffles me that people go to the trouble of reading the documentation, laying out PCB's, tagging themselves on the silkscreen, downloading the images of a piece of software that is clearly being actively maintained, and don't consider taking 5 minutes to reach out via the contact details.

Don't worry kopsec, you are not the first but you may be the last. Ebay, facebook, forums are littered with others passing off my stuff and others as their own, be it Diag264, Multimax etc. Tomorrow I will remove the ROM images and update the Diag264 page to indicate it is no longer maintained.

Posted By

JledStev61
on 2020-09-07
18:08:06

@crock
Hello. Do you sell any of the hardware for the Diag264?
I love the pictures of the items and the yellow casings.
Or do you provide what is needed to build them?
I will certainly purchase when I am able.
Do you have a link to products page?
I am very intrigued.
I was told that the built in software in mine does not work.
But the basic loaded when I first tested my plus4.

And is it true that a cartridge can bypass the need for basic to load?
I've never used a diagnostic cartridge or program before.
And haven't had a commodore in a very long time until now.
I did not want to do anymore testing on mine until I could get a different power supply.

Posted By

GeTE
on 2020-09-08
05:02:10

@crock

Ok, I recently bought the cartridge with the latest ROM from TFW8B and therefore the value will increase now after you withdrawn the rights and ROM ... but for me that does not feel good. I don't want to be richer, I want to use it at conventions to test C16, 116 and plus/4 to get more machines runnig and make the base of working hardware bigger.

PS: I really cannot solder to but prefer to buy things from the authors but if they do not sell, I have no problems pirating the "intelectual property" by buying from anyone who does that for me. In the past I bought a nice and small 1541-to-Centronics-Board from Kopsec and perhaps - in our conversatioin - I mentioned the problem that the DIAG264 is available but no one makes the dongles now (I got mine from a guy at Forum64, but for someone new in testing that might be a problem).

Posted By

kopsec
on 2020-09-09
12:34:44

@crock
I didn't notice your contact when reading the doc to make the PCBs. I saw them for sale on eBay and other places, and some docs for PCBs in EasyEda, so I missread that it was an old development not mantained. I have them for sale on other places and always mention to your web was included. I had some problems including your web here in the forum, so for this it was omitted.

I'm making and selling hardware for the retro comunity and helping when I can. If you want the PCB dessign to be public I can send it to you, and even make a new version THT for home made PCBs

Posted By

crock
on 2020-09-09
14:07:15

@kopsec, can you PM me on the email address on the DIag264 page please and we can talk offline?

cheers, Rob

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024