Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-08-31
17:57:53
 Re: Possible Plus4 successor

This is a VERY ACCURATE object rendered on an 8 bit Commodore! I am shocked! grin
And all in BASIC! (I know there was an Amiga version too).
Well, I really like the idea to program on BASIC10.0 happy

Certainly BASIC is not the best platform to make FAST 3D modelling.
Imagine Blender would have been written in interpretetr BASIC.

On the other hand it very well understandable even for noobs like me (it was great to understand 3D model creation going through the code), and can be transferred between platforms, as George proved it several times.

OFF
BTW the fun fact is, that in C64 and C= C16 BASIC every variable calculation is done via 5 byte floating point numbers in the background (should have been 6 bytes, but a trick saves one), even if it is a simple integer. the difference is that how many times it is converted back and front. happy

Interesting fact, but the C64 floating point numbers are unnecessarirly more accurate then the IEEE 754, as the C64 uses 32 bit long mantissa, while IEEE 754 (used in Intel 8087 match cooprocessor) just used 24 bits mantissa with less precision (but higher speed). In come cases the C64 floating point is smarter, as it has only one ZERO, while IEEE754 had negative ZERO and positive ZERO (!!!).

Litwr's CBCCWIF compiler transforms all BASIC floating point variables during compilation into 3 byte long (much faster) floating point numbers, unfortunately I mainly try to use GFX, and none of the gfx commands supported by this compiler. Imagine the speed increase of this demo on Plus/4 (maybe it could be 8-10x faster than the interpreter version), but the model complexity need to be cut due to routines in RAM (greatly reduces the available RAM for data)

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024