New C16 SD Card driver

http://joco.homeserver.hu/c16stm/

Posted By

unclouded
on 2020-06-19
17:59:29
 Re: New C16 SD Card driver

Looks awesome! Some observations:

The example for '@PWD' shows '@PWD /'. Is that trailing '/' supposed to be there? It wasn't in the on-screen example.

The documentation for '@DEL' shows 'Folter'. Is this intended to be "Folder"?

'fakse' -> 'false'?

'.PRF files' -> '.PRG files'?

This must have taken a lot of time! Nice work!

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-06-21
19:33:48

This project is really fantactic!
The easy handling is great, and the speed is also fantastic, looks like 8-10 KB/sec. Lightning fast!
700 files per folder is more than enough, I think.
The startup menu is great idea to able to load your game as quickly as if you use a game cartridge.
Also it is nice to have a built-in set of easily memorable commands.
It is like a real HDD for C16 C116 and Plus/4.

It is already a great storage device, just an extra idea:
BTW it would be great to able to use them from BASIC too. Even better, if the form would be the same as you call the kernal one. (eg. reroute the LOAD routine from original kernal addess to use, then first check your SD card for the file with the current folder, if nothing found then you pass the original call data to the original kernal one to check out the real or emulated floppy drives for the same filenames)
Why?
Because -the same way as in the SD2IEC based program "Legyél Te Is Burzsuj" some ppl could create games/programs can load parts (loading as PRGs), and this could happen really-really fast and not limited by the 160KB of the D64.

Like the pictures for an adventure game. The pictures would load within a blink of eye from your device, and the programmer should not limit himself to eg 15 pictures, just because of the capacity of the D64. (1581's D81 has more space, but in fact noone really owns it on this platform). The program, needs only one release, if someone uses your device, just need to copy the d64s' content into one SD folder, and would work in the same way as from D64 in real floppy, just much faster.

Posted By

siz
on 2020-06-22
07:52:58

I DO own a 1581. happy And the Pi1541 also supports D81 images and switches to 1581 emulation if you mount one.
I'm a bit sceptic about this SD card solution. I don't want a(nother) device which is not compatible with any of the existing storages. And the commands used to control the device are most probably conflict with JiffyDOS.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-06-22
09:17:24

@siz: 1581: lucky you! happy
I have microIEC and SD-1541/II but none of them supports 1581 format (AFAIK)
We are still waiting for the device able to present those fantastic demos, like "MicroMorph0s1s" happy

Posted By

Mad
on 2020-06-22
13:49:13

Nice! Would be interesting if an interrupt can run whilst loading, and if yes, if they do expose the 'api' documentation for this device.

Posted By

joco
on 2020-07-10
15:46:08

Hi. Obviously there is an API, so accessing the files and executing commands are possible from assembly code. I will write this documentation soon and publish on the webpage.

Thanks for mentioning the typos, I fixed them.

Joco

Posted By

joco
on 2020-07-11
04:04:26

Consider this card NOT as a competitive to SD2IEC or 1541EMU. It's rather like a huge ROM card, where lots of games/apps stored and you can select what you need. But instead of storing data in an EPROM or FLASH chip, this interface uses SD card for storage, therefore it has a large capacity. happy

Posted By

Retro Recollections
on 2020-07-14
13:03:38

This is great. Are they available to purchase anywhere?

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024