Login
Back to forumSee the full topicGo to last reply

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-05-18
08:12:33
 Re: Another dead C16

The carton is important from EMC pont of view, to have a cleaer picture without interference.
So, if you notice interferences, worth to try a shielded layer aluminium foil (on the top of the TED there is a small metal cap too in Plus/4)

In my German made C16 I do not have a carton, but a full metal sheet fixed with screws and fixed tight on the top of the 8501. I think there was even a sign of heat conductor paste from the factory (I kept the metal sheet and applied mine).
This metal shield is good for EMC shielding (less noisy picture and hum), and it is good for heat dissipation too (as metal is a good heat conductor (iron and steel not so good, but eh, still much better than paper, and both the volume and the size of the metal sheet enough to cool down a surface connected IC (like a huge radiator surface) )

This is what I told few years ago, that maybe the defective machines have different defect ratio based on the production site, like German, HongKong, Taiwan. Maybe it is not the factories, but the applied BOM (bill of material) if C= changed from a more expensive material to a cheaper one.

Again, changing from metal shield to carton could be OK for EMC shielding, but a step back in heat dissipation from the CPU

Back to top

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024