Login
Back to forumReply to this topicGo to last reply

Posted By

register
on 2020-04-11
05:00:18
 How does Interlaced MFLI work on real hardware?

I have been looking at some Interlaced MFLI pictures and while they are beautiful they flicker a lot on plus4emu. How does they perform on real hardware? Is the flickering so noticeable or is it any better ( or worse)?

Posted By

siz
on 2020-04-11
04:58:08
 Re: How does Interlaced MFLI work on real hardware?

All interlaced modes flicker like hell. :/ However it depends on what colors you place beside each other.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-04-14
03:33:19

Well, actually Larry's latest sideshows are interlace, they do not vibrate so much on real iron (on emulator + LCD screen yes, but it also depends on the monitor refresh rate), on the other hand they take a lot of memory and CPU power.

Posted By

register
on 2020-04-14
04:30:57
 WRe: How does Interlaced MFLI work on real hardware?

What if the interlace ( that is alternating between two images ) would be used on a very small area of the screen ( such as a sprite?). Did anybody tried that?

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-04-15
12:21:27

no, I do not think that saw any similar trials.
Maybe the advanced programmers may give a you (corr) comprehensive answer.

On the other hand, even preventing the color bleeding with ONE color is hard, how youmay prevent it with two?
Also, because the sprite is not independent from the picture/background (should be the same mode and use the same attriburs), it means that the picture behind (the whole lines) should be interlace too. or I do miss any important idea here

I saw few soft-sprite simulating routines, those ones made as basic extenstions were vibrating, but I think because they made the sprite update during screen area. (and not on the border)

Posted By

siz
on 2020-04-14
15:15:17

Actually in Uncertain Future the plasma part made by Csabo is interlaced in the middle but the rest of the screen stands still. See in the YouTube video: https://youtu.be/XjunFQOg3ps?t=285

Posted By

register
on 2020-04-14
16:05:11

I have looked at it in plus4emu. I don't know if it's because of a smart choice of colours but it seems pretty stable and doesn't seem to flicker.

Posted By

MMS
on 2020-04-15
12:20:21

Yeah it looks really nice. It is beyond me, why the side borders do not vibrate.
But cetrainly it is because my asm programming skills are tending to zero

Posted By

register
on 2020-04-15
15:02:02

But is it interlaced or INTERPRETATION? Because when I look at the demo it mentions only FLI which is INTERPRETATION and not interlaced. I mean does it switch images every second frame or does it run a new badline every two lines?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-04-15
15:00:04

@MMS: the area on both sides of the plasma is not flashing because it is the same in both phases of the interlace.

@register: Where did you get the idea that FLI, which means Flexible Line Interpretation, has anything to do with interpolation? You may think that plasma is based on interpolation, but that is completely independent of the displaying technique called interlace. Interlace is flipping between two "frame buffers" at vertical blanking period to achieve finer colour transition or higher resolution. Plasma is the effect filling the "frame buffers". Two things co-operating to get a nicer experience that one could achieve on its own.

Posted By

register
on 2020-04-16
01:11:12

@gerliczer: I simpy used the wrong wording as I didn't remember the acronym correctly. I have now corrected the wording in the previous mail. If you read it you can realize that while I used interpolation instead of interpretation I got the concepts right ( in fact I mentioned badlines ).
Thanks for confirming that it's proper interlace. Is the source code for the demo available?

Posted By

gerliczer
on 2020-04-16
00:22:11

Well, register, editing your post may not have been the best move. Now my response looks like complete idiocy.

The complete source is not available. However, as siz said it was made by Csabo, so there I see the chance that he is willing to share the code for that part.

Posted By

Csabo
on 2020-04-16
08:49:07

I put it up as requested. Hope it helps!

Back to topReply to this topic

Copyright © Plus/4 World Team, 2001-2024